Thursday, November 13, 2008

This Afternoon (Day 165)

Coldplay - "Shiver"
Nirvana - "Polly" (demo)
The Shins - "Black Wave"
Wilco - "Lookin' For A Lover"
Vetiver - "Double"
Red House Painters - "Make Like Paper"
This was a rare 10-minute plus jam (12:03, actually) that didn't have me anxiously fingering the skip button during my morning commute. These long songs don't usually fit my mood in the AM, but today I really relaxed and enjoyed the full bredth of the jam. Of course, I thought it was Magnolia Electric Co. the whole time. Apologies to Mark Kozelek but this had the same rumbling Neil Young-esque guitar and plodding rhythm that Magnolia's Jason Molina has perfected. It's uncanny. Even their voices sound remarkably similar - - which I'd never realized before. (I guess you can say my taste is consistent.) But, while this was a pleasant 12 minutes for me, evidently those minutes were torturous for Mark's label, 4AD. According to Wikipedia,
"4AD asked Kozelek to edit out the distorted guitar crunch that appears more than halfway though the song. When he refused, it became one of the reasons that Red House Painters and 4AD parted ways." Kinda surprising because I think of 4AD as having some experimental acts over the years. Their roster right now is actually pretty impressive: Bon Iver, M Ward, The Mountain Goats, Department of Eagles and Beirut. Did I miss anybody?
My Morning Jacket - "Golden"
Johnny Cash - "Let The Lower Lights Be Burning"
Death Cab For Cutie - "Long Division"
Joe Henry - "This Afternoon"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 44
Song with the most previous plays: "This Afternoon" - 10
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I got an inordinate amount of pleasure out of showing my daughter how to make devil horns with her fingers and yelling, "Rock and roll!"

No comments: