Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pack Up Your Sorrows (Day 163)

Common - "The Corner"
David Bowie - "Speed Of Life"
Bob Dylan & The Band - "Open The Door, Homer"
Yo La Tengo - "You Can Have It All"
Built To Spill - "Don't Try"
Johnny Cash & June Carter - "Pack Up Your Sorrows"
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - "The Drum Thunder Suite"
New Radiant Storm King - "The Opposing Engineer (Sleeps Alone)"
Funny that this song came 'round the shuffle because my friends and I were just talking about it. Basically, I always liked the woefully underrated indie band New Radiant Storm King. Then I discovered about 8 years ago a coworker-turned-good-friend actually went to college (I think it was college) with one of the guys in the band and knows him well. Well, recently the band (or more specifically my friend's friend) came up and AJS immediately informed us that New Radiant Storm King recorded a split single with his fave band, Guided By Voices. Not only that, the indie lure goes that Bob Pollard actually wrote "I Am A Scientist" after repeated listens to this very song. Eureka! What does all this mean? My friends are geeks.
Thom Yorke - "Harrowdown Hill"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 9
Total minutes of music (approx.): 36
Song with the most previous plays: "Pack Up Your Sorrows" - 6
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Tried to picture Mets manager Jerry Manuel as he played golf at a charity tournament in California yesterday dressed - - as the Times describes it - - "in a light yellow, light weight sweater, slacks and a beige fedora." What, no photo?

1 comment:

Angry John Sellers said...

I really like Harrowdown Hill. My two cents! -- AJS