Friday, November 14, 2008

Fire It Up (Day 166)

Brendan Benson - "Spit It Out"
Great playlist today. I was into it from this very first song. If you only know Benson (if at all) from his work with Jack Black and the Raconteurs, you're missing out. 2005's The Alternative to Love is a great power pop album. (Think Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend.) This song actually kicks off the CD, and it's just one of those toe-tappers that can't help but pump you up. (Kinda reminiscent of Dinosaur Jr.'s "Feel The Pain," by the way.) After dropping my daughter at school I have a 5-10 minute walk to the subway station and I was feeling a little Tony Manero strut coming on. I used all my energy to squelch it. No dice.



My Morning Jacket - "Smokin From Shootin"
Arctic Monkeys - "Perhaps Vampires Is A Bit Strong But..."
Modest Mouse - "Fire It Up"
Nina Simone - "Sunday in Savannah"
John Coltrane - "Locomotion"
Islands - "Where There's A Will There's A Whalebone"
Meat Puppets - "Climbing"
Okkervil River - "A Hand To Take Hold Of The Scene"
Neil Young - "Ambulance Blues"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 48
Song with the most previous plays: "Fire It Up" - 11
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 9
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: A New York Times first today (I have to imagine) - - the description of a masturbating inflatable.
At Madison Square Garden on Wednesday night, AC/DC reminded a rabid crowd exactly what sort of band it is...the sort that, when playing “Whole Lotta Rosie,” about loving a woman of ample figure, inflates a gargantuan, nominally clothed doll that taps its foot in time with the beat and whose left hand works a circular motion below the waist.
Long live rock.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, somebody get a video clip of that AC/DC show up, stat!

I get the same Tony Manero Strut urge from Pavement's "Sue Me Jack", which I've experienced several times along my morning train-to-office walk.

GE said...

Not sure you really want to watch, Pete. But here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRYjtrQ9sA

pcup said...

Damn - that pizza tony was eating sure looked good.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're right - that's not even remotely titillating.