Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Anyotherway (Day 158)

Bruce Springsteen - "4th Of July, Asbury Park" (live)
The Beatles - "One After 909"
Bon Iver - "Re: Stacks"
Joe Henry - "Shut Me Up"
Holly Golightly - "Anyotherway"
Tony Scherr - "The Good Life"
Oakley Hall - "Best Of Luck"
Well, it's finally here. Not much else anyone can think/talk about today and I'm no exception. Today's playlist for Election Day...not too much hidden meaning, I think. Sure, Bruce Springsteen kicked off the list - - and we all know who he's supporting. I suppose that could be a good sign. There was also something apropos about that achingly, beautiful Bon Iver song "Re: Stacks." Like most of his songs, the meaning is cryptic, but the tone feels like it projects pain and rebirth. And I especially like the line, "Everything that happens is from now on." Again, vaguely apropos. So, naturally, I voted today before work. My wife, 2 kids and dog all headed to our polling place, which is just up the block, at around 7:45. (Cute story: Before we left, I told my daughter - - who turns 3 today! - - that we were going to vote. To which se replied, "Are you picking a rocket ship or a peach store?" Huh? First, I worried she was still suffering from post-Halloween, post-birthday party sugar overload. Then I remembered: In school she and her classmates got to decide what to do with a big cardboard box the teachers brought in. The choice was rocket ship or peach store and, yup, the kids "voted." Rocket ship won. I think she actually wanted to make the box into a castle - - that's learning the true meaning of democracy the hard way. I explained what we were voting for, mostly to quizzical stares. But I did manage to get her to say, "Barack the vote!" a few times.) Sure enough, the polling place was packed. The line snaked around the inside of the school cafeteria, and there were by far more people than I've ever seen in my voting life. This in one of the bluest of blue states. All told, we waited about 45 minutes. When I finally got to the booth I asked my little girl to come in with me. She didn't want to at first because she was preoccupied with drawing using some markers the daughter of another voter brought. But, I insisted. I really wanted to share this with her. Once we got behind the curtain, she got into it. After I chose my candidate she gleefully helped pull the lever that records the vote. And I got chills. Best of luck, indeed.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 7
Total minutes of music (approx.): 33
Song with the most previous plays: "Anyotherway" - 8
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I didn't get one of those "I Voted" stickers. Bummer.

3 comments:

sarah said...

Ha, rocket ship or peach store...That's going to be my answer for everything from now on!
The kids and I made special, limited edition, election-themed sugar cookies today, and when my 3 year old and I walked out in the rain to deliver some to our neighbors, she said, "Why did John McCain make it rain?" And then she looked very angry. I don't know what I've been muttering that she's caught on to.
(I'd share some cookies with your family, too, if I could!)
Happy, happy birthday to your daughter! Three is an interesting age. Good luck to you. :) (The smile there softens the ominous tone, I hope. Three...shudders...)

Headstrong Pictures said...

while i can’t speak for the others, i'm confident that Tony Scherr, were he not in Chiasso, Switzerland today, would have joined your daughter and The Boss in "Baracking the vote!".

GE said...

Thanks for the metaphorical cookies, Sarah. Our rocket ship won!!!!

And thanks for stopping by Headstrong. You a friend of Tony?