Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Give Something Else Away Every Day (Day 98)

Belle & Sebastian - "Act Of The Apostle II"
The Moldy Peaches - "Little Bunny Foo Foo"
Gang Of Four - "At Home He's A Tourist"
I'm an admitted late adopter. Trust me, I was in no way rocking Gang Of Four in 1979 when their debut album Entertainment! was released. But along the way I heard they were a seminal post-punk band blah, blah. You're telling me. Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, et al, you should give these guys half your record advance. I read somewhere that this group (from Leeds) were influenced by one trip to NYC where they saw Television and The Ramones at CBGB. (Nice trip.) But their lyrics were always a bit more political and the, guitar...oh, the guitar. Andy Gill created a kind of angular, jagged style that is definitely unique. This AM, I was really admiring his work on this tune. The guitar licks comes at you in quick and powerful bursts - - pretty mind-blowing. And I guess I'm not the only person who thinks that. According to Mr. Wikipedia, "In March 2005,
Q magazine placed the track 'At Home He's a Tourist' at number 52 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks." Nice. I'm in no mood to dissect this list, but I will say that is a higher ranking than anything by U2! (Which I point out because of an earlier discussion on this blog.)
My Morning Jacket - "Run Thru" (live)
Magnolia Electric Co. - "Give Something Else Away Every Day"
A brief pause here just to highlight today's Song With The Most Previous Plays (SWTMPP
©), in case there are any Neil Young/roots-rock fans out there who have never heard of Magnolia Electric Co. The band is led by Jason Molina (formerly of Songs: Ohia), and they are really very good. This song is from 2005's What Comes After the Blues which is plodding and melancholy - - in a good way!
Jimmy Cliff - "Fountains Of Life" (live)
Ambulance Ltd. - "Yoga Means Union"
Johnny Cash - "Give My Love To Rose"
The Beastie Boys - "Shake Your Rump"
Oneida - "Leaves"
Phish - "Tweezer" (live)
If you ever wanted proof that I don't censor these lists, this should do it. Suffice to say, I did not hear all 17:56 of this song before getting to work. I did, however, blog a bit about my latent jam band admiration way back on Day 9. So I'll spare you the gory details.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12
Total minutes of music (approx.): 50
Song with the most previous plays: "Give Something Else Away Every Day" - 10
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Ran in to a co-worker on the subway, cost me most of Oneida's "Leaves." Darn. (I'm so friendly.)

3 comments:

Simon Crowe said...

Very eclectic list today...Thanks for all your feedback at Mostly Movies, and I recommend the new Conor Oberst to you.

comoprozac said...

Phish? Hippie.

KR said...

Little Bunny Foo Foo, eh? Hmm...

But I also wanted to comment on the fact that you mentioned Ambulance LTD, and Songs: Ohia in your post. Two of my more favorite bands that no one knows anything about--at least in my circles. And even I don't know much about their genealogies? Can you give me any information on the people and the history of Songs: Ohia?