Thursday, August 7, 2008

Don't Shit Where You Eat (Day 100)

The Mountain Goats - "Cobra Tattoo"
It's here: Day 100. I promised the world, but I was only kidding. I think the fact that I've actually made it this far should be gift enough to you, reader(s). Seriously, it started as a fun experiment that continues to be fun. So, I'll keep at it. And thanks to anyone who's actually been crazy enough to care about What I Listened To On My Way To Work Today. For one bonus centennial feature, look below. In the meantime, The Mountain Goats almost tried to spoil my party and make it their party. Three songs! In the illustrious 100 day history of this blog, I don't think the iPod shuffle has ever played the same band/artists three times. (If anyone wants to intern at WILTOMWTWT and actually tabulate all the stats, email me.) Now, The Mountain Goats are not exactly good time music, but Get Lonely in particular is a pretty brutal affair. Thanks, John Darnielle, now I'm depressed.
The Fall - "Pat-Trip Dispenser"
Rivers Cuomo - "I Wish You Had An Axe Guitar"
The Thermals - "An Ear For Baby"
Ween - "Don't Shit Where You Eat"
Sorry about the Not-So-Safe-For-Work title of today's blog, but that's the Song With The Most Previous Plays. It's a funny song on an often hysterical record, Chocolate and Cheese. But what of the expression? I think we all know for the most part what it means, but where does it come from? Tough to figure out, since it's often attributed to "a wise person." (Best usage, however, goes to Tony Soprano who embellished it a bit when talking to Benny Fazio [who was played by Doogie Howser pal Max Casella]: "You don't shit where you eat. And you especially don't shit where
I eat.") One blogger attributes it to author Saul Bellow, from his book The Adventures of Augie March. A book which I've never read but is suddenly coming up a lot in my house. (Our son Augie, was born in March!)
The Mountain Goats - "International Small Arms Traffic Blues"
The Mountain Goats - "In The Hidden Places"
Great Northern - "Just A Dream"
Dinosaur Jr. - "What If I Knew"
How many other bands can you name that wait 10 years to release a new album...and then have it turn out this good. Really, if you consider the fact that every album after Bug was really just J. Mascis this is the first full-fledged Dinosaur Jr. album in 19 years! And, it's really freaking good! (Day 100 apparently will be marred by a lot of exclamation points.)
Grinderman - "Love Bomb"
Weezer - "Holiday"
Wilco - "Hate It Here" (live)
Ron Sexsmith - "Secret Heart"

And then I got to work...ta-dah!

Happy Day 100.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 48
Song with the most previous plays: "Don't Shit Where You Eat" - 5
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 5
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I did give a moments thought to taking a photo during each song and giving you some kind of visual history of today's commute as a special Day 100 project. But I abandoned it quickly when I realized every photo would basically look like this:

5 comments:

comoprozac said...

Sorry to comment so late on your special day. I actually had to work away from my Google Reader (which numbers in the 450's right now).

Good point about Dino Jr. I love that Thermals song. I danced my ass off (which is rare these days) when they came to town last year.

Again, congrats on the centennial!

pcup said...

um ... i see that mug ... you work for a fictional news station?

comoprozac said...

I hadn't studied the pic before. Nice move on placing your own book in the shot. Now everyone knows that you're Leonard Malton. Sorry.

GE said...

Does pcup watch lame Fox sitcoms starring Kelsey Grammer? I'm shocked!

And I can't believe CP blew my cover. Now everyone will know I gave Beverly Hills Ninja 1 1/2 stars.

pcup said...

no ... i googled wgur - wikipedia told me what it was. sorry to disappoint.