Monday, August 11, 2008

Come On! Feel The Illinoise! (Day 102)

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - "Yankee Go Home"
M Ward - "Regeneration No. 1"
Guided By Voices - "Hot Freaks"
Sufjan Stevens - "Come On! Feel The Illinoise!"
Of Montreal - "Eagle-Shaped Mirror" (live)
Uncle Tupelo - "Screen Door"

The Velvet Underground - "Sister Ray"

Cat Power - "Silver Stallion"

Magnetic Fields - "Kiss Me Like You Mean It"

Townes Van Zandt - "Two Hands"

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - "My Heart Is Broken"

Yardbirds - "Stealing Stealing"
Guided By Voices - "Her Psychology Today"
I was pretty into today's playlist. But work got in the way of any real commentary. Here's the Cliff's Notes:
  • GBV is suddenly in heavy rotation: Nice.
  • After OD'ing on Sufjan Stevens and subsequently taking a long break, I think I may be ready to dive back in.
  • Funny that after I mentioned "Screen Door" as one of the best songs that's never been played on my iPod, it comes up.
  • I really like the Of Montreal song "Eagle-Shaped Mirror," and the Daytrotter version is pretty great. Go listen to it.
  • And finally, "Sister Ray" is a serious jam (17:27) - - and will now force me to see these in a new light.












And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 53
Song with the most previous plays: "Come On! Feel The Illinoise!" - 10
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 8
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: There was a very cool photo of Avey Tare from Animal Collective in the NY Times' review of the All Points West Festival in Jersey City. See:

4 comments:

Simon Crowe said...

Jinx! I had a double GBV day.....

comoprozac said...

Great list today! I think an "8" is conservative.

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing about "Screen Door."

I think I'm ready for more Sufjan Stevens too. I hear he has material for New Jersey, Oregon, and some other state I can't remember. That means he has like 45 to go once those three are released.

KR said...

Hey! I was at APW in Jersey City all weekend---were you there? I saw that Animal Collective show, too. Wasn't my favorite at all, but fun nonetheless.

Now back to Olympic swimming...

GE said...

Wasn't at APW, sadly. I'm always missing good stuff in my backyard...

So, what's up with all the broken world records in swimming? The high-tech swimsuits? Deeper pool? Alien technology?