Wednesday, August 20, 2008

7/4 (Shoreline) [Day 107]

Versus - "Eskimo"
David Cross - "Certain Leaders In Government Look Or Act Like Certain Pop Cultural References!"
Cansei De Ser Sexy - "Alcohol"
Broken Social Scene - "7/4 (Shoreline)"
Phew. Back with a shuffled playlist at last - - and a nice Song With The Most Previous Plays. I think I've blogged before about my less-than-obsessive familiarity with this band commonly referred to as a Canadian pop supergroup. My first thought today was, do they really tour with 19 members? I wanted to see this in action, so I went to YouTube and immediately came up with this cool performance of "7/4 (Shoreline)" from a Jan. 31, 2006 episode of Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Well, I guess this was their stripped-down lineup because I only count 14 band members (including Leslie Feist, who should probably be counted twice). It may look like one of those end-of-award-show jams, but this is pretty tight for a group that looks more like a mob. Even Conan jokes, "You need more guitars!" Check it out.



Magnetic Fields - "Holy Fucking Romantic"
Destroyer - "The Sublimation Hour"
Guided By Voices - "Game Of Pricks"
Guided By Voices - "Chasing Heather Crazy"
Wow, how's that for back-to-back GBV? Two excellent songs, including this one from the shinier late-period album Isolation Drills. I'm sure there are purists out there who hate it for its production values, but I think it's pretty great. You?
Tindersticks - "The Walt Blues"
Sparklehorse - "Heart Of Darkness"
Belle & Sebastian - "Judy Is A Dick Slap"
Intriguing title...yes? Unfortunately because it's and instrumental, this B&S song from the Legal Man EP, doesn't give us any hint of what that title could possibly be referring to. Any guesses?
Norah Jones - "Little Room"
Charlotte Gainsbourg - "Tel Que Tu Es"
Built To Spill - "Traces"
The Clientele - "Carnival On 7th Street"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 15
Total minutes of music (approx.): 46
Song with the most previous plays: "7/4 (Shoreline)" - 9
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Olympic mystery solved! Why do the divers shower after each dive? Take it away, NYTimes:
The answer is actually quite simple. The pool is 79 degrees, and when the divers come out, they are cold. Since there is often a long wait between dives, they shower to keep their muscles warm.
Okay, but why the little towel?

Like the showers, the shammies serve a practical purpose. Divers’ skin must be perfectly dry so they do not lose their grip when they do complicated dives. Kenny Armstrong, a United States diving coach, said that the American Matt Scoggin lost his grip in Barcelona in 1992 while performing a back three-and-a-half somersault and landed on his back in the finals.

“There’s nothing worse than slippery,” Armstrong said.

If you say so.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I heard the body temperature excuse, too. But given that the swimming venue designers never include any sort of privacy barrier, I think the showers are primarily for voyeuristic T&A purposes. Not that I'm at all complaining.

Simon Crowe said...

Re your comment: the Buffalo Tom song is from last year's CD - which I recommend. I can't remember the title right now. As for Rush, I have far stranger things on the iPod, I assure you.

comoprozac said...

That BSS vid has me pumped to see them later this fall. Don't you worry. There will be a full report.

I am a purist. Your assessment of my opinion is right on.

I assume the B&S title has to do with hand jobs...reminds me of the BSS track. The iPod works cycles. Or, it could have something to do with this.