Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lucky (Day 104)

Radiohead - "There There"
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "Timorous Me"
Cansei De Ser Sexy - "Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above"
Sparklehorse - "850 Double Pumper Holley"
The Elected - "British Columbia"
Tortoise - "Eros"
Fourth Of July - "The Faint"
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - "I Want You" (live)
Today was a test: Would mind control work on my iPod? Like some kind of Jedi, I said (to myself), "You will play a Bob Dylan song today." Holy shit! It (sort of) worked. My iPod coughed up the Dylan tune, but the shifty bastard made it a Dylan tune performed by someone else. Either my iPod has a more refined sense of humor than I realized, or my mind control abilities are sorely lacking. In any case it wasn't really even worth the cerebral expenditure, because the reason I wanted an excuse to mention Dylan today isn't that earth shattering. Nonetheless I've bullshitted enough about it, I'll just tell you. Bob was in my 'hood yesterday, and although I didn't get a ticket to see him perform (that would have required cash and forethought), I did make the 10 minute walk, with my dog K.C., into Prospect Park to see if I could get an earful gratis. It was a beautiful night and the park was buzzing, but the non-paying customers were impeded by a big fence which meant no view and very muffled sound. But that didn't deter many of us from hanging out on the lawn and taking in the scene. (Including some woman who took a liking to my dog [nice], and while I wasn't looking fed her beef jerky [weird!]) I listened to muffled versions of "Honest With Me" (from Love and Theft), "John Brown" (kind of obscure, I guess most notably on Bob's Unplugged album) and "Highway 61 Revisited." For the full set list click here. So it wasn't much of a show (for me), but how often do you get to walk out your front door and here even a muffled Bob? Which, let's face it, sometimes sounds just like the real thing...
What I missed:



Tortoise & Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "Pancho"
Giant Sand - "Get To Leave"
Hem - "Lucky"

**Programming note: I'm off tomorrow for yet another family wedding. This time we'll haul the brood to Portland, OR. Meet you back here on Monday.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 44
Song with the most previous plays: "Lucky" - 8
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 5
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: While reading the Tropic Thunder review I was suddenly shocked. Ethan Coen was one of the writers! If the man who penned Raising Arizona was anywhere near this movie, I may have to see it. I imdb'd it as soon as I got in the office just to confirm. Well, good thing. Ethan Coen definitely did not write this movie, but Etan Cohen did, a former Beavis and Butt-head writer. For the record, the NY Times had it right, but I read it very wrong.

3 comments:

sarah said...

Portland! You're quite the jetsetter. Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone realize how important a song "Like a Rolling Stone" was? It was completely mind blowing, 7+minutes when every song was 3 minutes long. It still gives me chills to hear it. It changed the music industry as surely then as the internet has today. A great live version...he never sings the same way twice.

Uncle E said...

Hey GE! Meant to say "Congrats" on the big 100 the other day when you posted, but got caught up in some minutae. I'm glad you've made the decision to continue, I really enjoy your posts and writing style in particular. I learn something new each time.
After all, you introduced me to Sloan, fast becoming a BIG favorite!

Thanks, and looking forward to more.

E