Monday, August 25, 2008

Extradition (Day 110)

Stereolab - "Contronatura"
The Stills - "Fevered"
The Beatles - "Good Day Sunshine"
Wessell Anderson - "Go Slow For Mo'"
Pavement - "Extradition"
The Beatles - "I Am The Walrus"
Calexico / Iron & Wine - "Prison Route 41"
Sloan - "Will You Ever Love Me Again?"
John Hiatt - "Cold River"
Tom Waits - "Long Way Home"
Islands - "Volcanoes"
Creepy! What's with the spoken-word sample that kicks off this song by this usually bouncy psychedelic pop band? The scratchy recording and the dark tone reminded me of the spoken intro to Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around." (Incidentally that song played over the closing credits of the finale of HBO's Generation Kill last night. Anybody watch this mini-series? I thought it was pretty great.) The words are just as apocalyptic:
"My Name is Oscar // I want to introduce myself // I was killed in 1936 by my brother // I'm a demon and I want you to know // The world is going to end in 2007."
Well, at least the prediction didn't come true, but the lyrics to the rest of the song sound like some environmental disaster warning. Worth heeding, naturally. But where is this weird sample from? I thought for sure a Google search would reveal something? Nope. Is this some obvious reference I'm missing? Anyone? Oscar?

Wilco - "I Was In Your Dreams" (live)

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12
Total minutes of music (approx.): 54
Song with the most previous plays: "Extradition" - 6
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: So. Freaking. Humid.

No comments: