Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Curse of Bowie (Day 111)

Umm, this is not good. It happened again. A nice trip to work today. Gorgeous weather. Good tunes. No playlist! The iPod did not keep track of the song's played again this AM. What's up with you, decaying, ancient mp3 player? I know, I've probably milked this little unit well past its expiration date. (Although that's sad because I believe I got it in June 2006.) You know that Apple, for all it's shiny, happy designs and user-friendly interfaces, has these things self-destruct just in time to get the newest model. I know what ipodwidow is going to think, but this is no ploy. The thing may finally be on its last legs.
Yo La Tengo - "Swing For Life"
So what did I hear? Well, definitely Yo La Tengo's "Swing For Life." I remember peeking at the iPod because I didn't immediately recognize this YLT song. (Although I recognized Georgia Hubley's heavy, sublime drumming. I think she's awesome. Plus, in person she's has this quiet, yet intense presence.) This particular track is from May I Sing With Me which is probably the YLT album I know least. In fact, it's not on my iPod, but the Prisoners Of Love compilation is, and this track also appears there.
Starlight Mints - "San Diego"
Second memorable tune today was this Starlight Mints song. I was walking up the stairs from subway No. 1 to transfer to subway No. 2 and the opening riff had my hand involuntarily striking a few air guitar chords. Until I snapped out of this riff-induced haze and remembered I was in public. Although the song is called "San Diego" this indie pop band actually hails from Norman, OK. And I don't know much else about them. They won't necessarily blow you away, but apparently they make kick-ass music to climb subway stairs to.
David Bowie - "Modern Love"
And the final song from today's playlist that I remember for some strange reason: David Bowie's "Modern Love." No biggie, right? It's just a track from Bowie's very commercial 1983 album Let's Dance, which has aged about as poorly as you'd imagine. Well, I'll tell you what the big deal is: IT WAS A BOWIE SONG THAT PLAYED THE LAST TIME THE IPOD CRAPPED OUT! Apparently Mr. Bowie has it out for my iPod. Where's the love, David? I even bought that god-awful Tin Machine album.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: n/a
Total minutes of music (approx.): n/a
Song with the most previous plays: n/a
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Big Mike Pelfrey pitched his second consecutive complete game for the Mets last night. Seemed impressive until I read this fun-fact: Tom Seaver holds the Mets record for career complete games with 171. He also holds the single-season mark with 21, set in 1971.

Wow.

2 comments:

sarah said...

Tom Seaver=awesome.
You bought Tin Machine? Whoa. Bowie owes you a very nice iPod.
You should have included a clip of his Modern Love Pepsi commercial that he did with Tina Turner. Shudder...that would've been a nice payback for his iPod murdering ways.
The choice...is...mine...
(Choice is mine!)

comoprozac said...

I think it's time to replace the iPod. You can't afford too many posts like this. Think of your readers.

Tom Seaver pitched in an era when pitchers were expected to pitch complete games. Today's kids barely make it to five innings. I blame new managing techniques. Arms are weak due to reduced innings over the years.