Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Forgot It! (Day 106)

Yup, I forgot it alright. The iPod: sitting on my desk, at work. Me: on the subway, on the way home, last night. I almost went back. ipodwidow would not have appreciated that. But, oh, the pain. An entire commute home and an entire commute back to work the next day sans iPod. My ears, open and exposed to the city and all its sounds. For the record, it's noisy out there and occasionally interesting, but I prefer my little hermetically sealed world, with its own soundtrack. So what do I do now? I didn't actually listened to any music on my way to work today. Still, I felt like I needed to post a playlist. (Call the folks at Intervention, I'm hooked. Speaking of said show, this is the craziest episode ever.) Since I forgot my iPod, I thought a collection of songs about "forgetting" might be in order. But making a scan of the song titles in alphabetical order I only came up with one song that begins with the word forget - - "Forget the Flowers" by Wilco. Obviously there are other songs with the word forget (or forgot) somewhere in the title. Is there anyway to find them all? Yes! Am I the last person to discover the "Smart Playlist" function in iTunes? You can search your songs using any keyword. Very cool. So, thanks to this newly found function, here is today's playlist, dedicated to...forgetting.

The Walkmen - "Don't Forget Me"
Beulah - "Don't Forget To Breathe"
Wilco - "Forget The Flowers"
Leonard Cohen - "I Can't Forget"
Elvis Presley - "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"
Bodies Of Water - "I Guess I'll Forget The Sound, I Guess, I Guess"
Husker Du - "I'll Never Forget You"
Fountains Of Wayne - "The Girl I Can't Forget"
Cut Copy - "Unforgettable Season"
Belle & Sebastian - "You Made Me Forget My Dreams"
Jens Lekman - "At The Dept. Of Forgotten Songs"
Red House Painters - "Have You Forgotten"
The Moldy Peaches - "I Forgot"
Magnetic Fields - "Long-Forgotten Fairytale"
The Walkmen - "Old Forgotten Soldier"
Iron & Wine - "Sunset Spoon Forgotten"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 0
Total minutes of music (approx.): 0
Song with the most previous plays: n/a
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): n/a
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: It was torture.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why Ipods are the devil. You and Michael Phelps should both go sailing off in your little bubbles.

comoprozac said...

What happens when you forget your iPod the next time? You can't really use this idea again. Still, it's a good cover.

GE said...

I hope Phelps let's me in his bubble, BM. I hear the dude's a babe magnet.

Shaholla said...

I just found out about the search feature in itunes this past weekend. The same search bar you use in the itunes store will search your library for certain words/artist. Its awesome!

Anonymous said...

If only you were 23 again, 6'6'' with a jillion gold medals....the bubbles might meet. But you already have a babe actually two of them.