Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Vivo Sonhando (Dreamer) [Day 99]

Nirvana - "Return Of The Rat"
Andrew Bird - "Simple X"
Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz - "Vivo Sonhando (Dreamer)"
Les Savy Fav - "Who Rocks The Party"
Yo La Tengo - "Nuclear War (Version 1)"
Radiohead - "Bodysnatchers" (live)
Animal Collective - "The Purple Bottle"
Joe Henry - "God Only Knows"
I'm at a loss. Today's set was weird, short and uninspiring. There are a couple of covers: Nirvana playing a song by a Portland, OR punk band called The Wipers, and Yo La Tengo's cool version of Sun Ra's "Nuclear War." (Which, not surprisingly, they learned to play shortly after 9/11. Click
here if you want to hear them talk about that time in the band's history, it's pretty interesting.) One live song (Radiohead, from a BBC concert in April), and one inscrutable song by an inscrutable band (Animal Collective). Today's SWTMPP is from a classic album (Gilberto/Getz), but it's not the classic song ("Girl From Impanema"). Too bad, because she's a real person, supposedly. (FYI, if you're going to Google it, like I did, some results are NSFW.) One annoying song by a band that I find hit-or-miss (Les Savy Fav). A song from one of the more underrated albums of 2007 (Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha). And, finally, a Joe Henry song from an album I love (Civilians), which I only got to hear a minute of before getting to work. Maybe I'm just saving myself for tomorrow. Not just any Thursday, my friends - - Day 100.

[Oh shit, now I raised the bar too high. You might as well go back to your other favorite blogs.]

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 8
Total minutes of music (approx.): 34
Song with the most previous plays: "Vivo Sonhando (Dreamers)" - 5
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 4
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Took the 4 1/2 month old to the pediatrician before work. And I'm happy to report all systems are go!

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

The first time I heard YLT play "Nuclear War" was on one of their Hanukkah tours. They stopped in Cleveland that year. They marched all through the crowd as the played their bongos.

So, we should expect big things tomorrow?