Monday, March 17, 2008

On Noble (Day 9)

Charlie Louvin - "Waiting For A Train"
The Replacements - "Skyway"
The Beatles - "Oh! Darling"
Phish - "Ghost" (live)
Full disclosure: I almost skipped writing about this song and pretended it never happened. But, at the risk of alienating some of the indie music blogeratti, I have to admit, I like Phish. I especially liked them in college (natch), and seeing them at the Michigan Theater in 1993 was a ridiculously good time. While I'm sucking on the pipe of good ol' jam bands, let me be frank: I like the Grateful Dead too. A lot. True, I rarely listen to them anymore, but for a certain time and place they were the greatest band in the world. Especially live. But back to Phish, they noodle, they're esoteric, certainly overwrought, but Lawn Boy is one of those albums that will always make me think of high school, drugs and random parties - - good times. Unfortunately, I did skip this song on my way to work today. Not because it sucks, but because it's 21 freaking minutes long!
The Shins - "The Past And Pending"
The Bird & The Bee - "Preparedness"
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "Hard Life"
I pause here to mention the brilliance of Bonnie "Prince" Billy (who, of course, also records under the names Palace and Palace Music, and is really Will Oldham). I also want, for my own sake, to find out a little more about this tune - - which is amazing, but not familiar. It's from his 2003 release Master and Everyone, which is stripped-down and extremely melodic. More so than the Palace records. And this was a gorgeous duet, but I'm not sure who with. Let me check.... It's a Nashville singer named Marty Slayton. Apparently she also sings backup for Reba McEntire and was on the reality competition Nashville Star. Random.
Nirvana - "Mexican Seafood"
Ween - "Don't Shit Where You Eat"
Sonic Youth - "Fauxhemians"
Pixies - "Debaser" (live)
Great song (obviously) - - but also the greatest recorded homage to an experimental Spanish filmmaker (perhaps). "Debaser" very cooly name checks the 1928 film Un Chien Andalou, by Luis Bunuel. (Although Frank Black decided to sing it as "un chien andalusia" basically because he thought it sounded better.)
And the line "I'm slicing up eyeballs" is reference to the striking scene in this odd film in which a man cuts a woman's eyeball with a straight razor. Yes, I saw this in an experimental film class in college (even more props to the glory days at UM). By the way, Salvador Dali wrote the screenplay for Un Chien Andalou which is apropos of nothing, but a chance to share this amazing video with you. Take the time to watch it, it is awesome.
The Beatles - "Something/Blue Jay Way"
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - "Tommy Gun" (live)
Tortoise - "On Noble"
The National - "All The Wine" (live)

And then I got to work.


Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 15*
*Really 14 total songs were listened to today, see "Ghost" above for more information.
Total minutes of music (approx.): 48
Song with the most previous plays:
(tie) "Skyway," "Preparedness," "Something/Blue Jay Way," "On Noble" - 4
Although there was a 4-way tie for the SWTMPP, I chose "On Noble" as the title for today's post because it just sounded coolest.
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: There were not nearly as many freaks wearing green as I thought there would be.

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

I nearly fell out of the car once while driving past a marquee that boasted a Phish cover band. That didn't shock me. It was the fact that my brother-in-law (who was seated in the passenger seat) said, "What's makes a Phish cover band? All you have to do is be really good." And he's supposedly a professional musician.

Funny that you would post about the jamming thing today. I did as well.

living in misery