Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Going Through The Motions (Day 73)

Bishop Allen - "Coupla Easy Things"
Camera Obscura - "Come Back Margaret"
Sonic Youth - "Lights Out"
It just occurred to me that I remember hearing Sonic Youth was performing Daydream Nation in its entirety at some shows last year (I think)? Yet, I never wound up reading any reviews or blog posts. Anybody see it? I love the concept of a band doing an entire record, especially one as great as Daydream. A friend mentioned last night that he's got tickets to see Built To Spill perform Perfect From Now On later this year. Holy shit that is going to be awesome. (And, naturally, I probably won't see it.) Meanwhile, I like this song and I like all of SY's 2006 album Rather Ripped (except the title). In fact, they've quietly had a string of good records with Murray Street and Sonic Nurse before it. Daydream Nation is obviously the peak, but unlike, say, U2, I still think this band is vital. (See the comments section from yesterday's post if you don't have any idea why I bring up U2.) Although it's a hard comparison to make because I never liked U2 as much as I do Sonic Youth. And, although I see PCup's point, I don't think it's even Bono's personality that is the band's biggest problem. Mostly it's the irrepressible bombast and the Edge's boring as hell guitar playing. Can you believe "Where The Streets Have No Name" was named the 28th Greatest Guitar Song Of All Time by Rolling Stone magazine? Now I'm no expert (in fact, I don't even play), but is he doing anything more than holding a single note and strumming the guitar during the very long intro to that song? For a more in depth criticism of this stupid list, head over to Angry John.
The Books - "Tokyo"
Elliott Smith - "Last Hour"
Pavement - "Shady Lane"
Bishop Allen - "The Monitor" (live)
Bruce Springsteen - "Devils & Dust"
The National - "The Geese Of Beverly Road"
Track Star - "Payback"
Devendra Banhart - "This Is The Way"
De La Soul - "Take It Off"
Aimee Mann - "Going Thorough The Motions"
Radiohead - "Subterranean Homesick Alien"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 14

Total minutes of music (approx.): 53
Song with the most previous plays: "Going Through The Motions," "The Geese Of Beverly Road" (tie) - 10
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I have noticed that it has become socially acceptable for women to wear incredibly short shorts in public. What can I say, I'm observant.

9 comments:

pcup said...

As a man who loves Neil Young solos (as do I), you might want to be cautious about putting down a guitarist's staying put on one note for a while!

pcup said...

Re: the Edge: You might find this very interesting:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9dWURuS_zx0

see 3:37 to 4:26.

Seems over the top ("Think Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Neil Young, Pete Townsend"); but what do I know?

GE said...

Wow, if Bruce says it, then it is true.

No, seriously, I can see the originality of his sound. I just personally find that sound boring. And I probably shouldn't have said "holding one note" because you're right plenty of that goes on in solo-ing. But it's what you do with that note…

sarah said...

Did Sonic Youth do Daydream Nation for All Tomorrow's Parties? I thought I saw that, too, but never heard anything else about it... It seems to be the in thing to do now, performing a whole album (which is fine with me, especially when it's an all-the-way-through amazing album like DN or Perfect From Now On.) Between those and the upcoming MBV shows, I really feel like I'm missing something!
(Meanwhile, U2 is and was always painfully, awfully boring.)

comoprozac said...

Sonic Youth is the antithesis of U2. While U2 has overplayed their formula (even during their 90's pseudo-electronica stage), Sonic Youth has consistently created innovative music. SY are still part of the scene. U2 is above it. People who buy Sonic Youth albums still listen to them and turn out in droves to see the band perform said albums in their entirety. U2 fans don't do that. They know a few songs, not any albums before JT.

Angry John Sellers said...

Dude, quit dissing the Edge. It's pointless. Next, I'll bet you say that Johnny Marr wasn't a good guitarist. And really, it's not like Neil Young is a guitar god either.

I went to see the Sonic Youth Daydream Nation show out in LA. Pretty awesome, of course. But part of me wish they'd played Goo and had Chuck D come out to say, "Yeah, tell 'em about it. Hit 'em where it hurts."

GE said...

It's always fun to get Angry John's blood up about something...

My last word(s) on The Edge: I admit he is an original guitarist. In other words, you can pick out his riffs in a heartbeat. So for that he should get credit. BUT, for me, he's repetitive and dull.

And, yes, Neil Young is a guitar god. (period)

Proof: http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=21373

Angry John Sellers said...

Suck it. (And ignore Bono.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3IwqYIgJI

GE said...

Can I ignore Larry's hair too? Nice clip.