Monday, July 28, 2008

Behind the Curtain (Day 93)


Well, after 92 days of listing what I listened to on my way to work it was bound to happen: technical difficulties. The weird thing is I assumed the first such issue would involve battery life. But up to this point the iPod's been charged and ready to go each morning. If it wasn't a lack of juice that would shut me down, I figured some sort of massive system failure was also imminent. After all, I have one of the older generation iPods (it doesn't even show video, it might as well display the song titles in hieroglyphics!), that has actually crashed in the past. At one point I thought it was toast. Wouldn't re-set, wouldn't re-load...nada. While searching online for ways to revive it, I came upon a blog post by someone with the same model who said when his crashed he simply smacked it down on his desk and it was as good as new. Out of desperation, I slammed the thing with the back of my hand as hard as I could and it actually came back to life.

Today's problem was altogether different. Even more bizarre. I left the house this AM and began shuffling the iPod, per usual. The very first song was The Velvet Underground - "I Found A Reason." After that I was very casually listening, reading the paper, kind of in a fog, per usual. I can tell you I definitely heard a David Bowie song. (I even made a mental note about how I've never really posted much bout Bowie...) And, I think there was a Beck song...maybe. Beyond that I have no idea what I listened to on my way to work today. Obviously I don't sit there writing down each song as it plays, and some mornings (like this one), the music pretty much goes in one ear and out the other - - background music to my morning commute and newspaper reading. It doesn't affect the blog if I'm not tuning in because the iPod keeps track of what songs are played. Not today! For whatever reason, iTunes did not update the "Last Played" category this morning. The last song played, according to my iPod, was on Friday night. So now I've got nothing. No playlist! No songs to inspire interesting and informative posts. Or, for that matter, even mundane personal history based on nothing more than the name of a Smog song or some such.) Without my blog convention, what am I? Just a guy farting in the wind apparently.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: ?
Total minutes of music (approx.): ?
Song with the most previous plays: N/A
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6, err, I think?
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I heard songs. I can't tell you what songs they were. So sad.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

See. I've always got Misery. No worries. You'll be back tomorrow, good as new.

Anonymous said...

Is this your subtle way of asking for a new IPod?