Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hard To Find (Day 89)

Animal Collective - "Flesh Canoe"
The name of this song seems vaguely dirty to me, and may lure people to this blog looking for something a bit more exciting. Anyone who has a blog (i.e. everyone), knows one of the most fun (and stalkerish) things to do is track the referring urls of people stopping by. Fifty percent of the time hits come via a search engine, and the query that brought people over is often hilarious. My friend Brett had a particularly good one a few months back. And I think it's interesting that I have become something of a clearing house lately for people seeking the answer to this question: "Can Pink Eye Come From Feces?" Now, I know why, but still...eww. And what do people think once they get here? Is it, "Well, I was worried about Timmy's eyes, but hey this guy loves Neil Young! Run along, Timmy. I have some reading to do." Another favorite recent search that brought someone to this blog: "Witch Into frog." It was a cute story about my kid that made me use the phrase, but what if this web surfer is actually attempting to turn someone into a frog? I rest easy knowing that they didn't find the information they were looking for.
Track Star - "These Horses Carry Blood"
Devendra Banhart - "A Sight To Behold"
The American Analog Set - "Hard To Find"
The Beastie Boys - "Shadrach"
Robert Earl Keen Jr. - "Not A Drop Of Rain"
Jim O'Rourke - "Get A Room"
Richard & Linda Thompson - "Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed?"
Tom Waits - "Jayne's Blue Wish"
Dolorean - "Traded For Fire"
Conor Oberst - "Waste Of Paint" (live)
I was thinking of putting together a list today titled Top 5 Musicians That Were Touted As The Future of Rock 'n' Roll Who Quickly Fizzled Out. But, I got bored after Conor and Ryan Adams. (I leave it to the commenters...) Still, I haven't completely given up on Conor. In fact, I'm off to listen to his new album (streaming here) to gather a first impression.
Fountains Of Wayne - "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" (live)

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12
Total minutes of music (approx.): 55
Song with the most previous plays: "Hard To Find" - 10
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: There was an interesting article in the NY Times today about mirrors and what they teach us about perception. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around this graph:
Outline your face on a mirror, and you will find it to be exactly half the size of your real face. Step back as much as you please, and the size of that outlined oval will not change: it will remain half the size of your face (or half the size of whatever part of your body you are looking at), even as the background scene reflected in the mirror steadily changes. Importantly, this half-size rule does not apply to the image of someone else moving about the room. If you sit still by the mirror, and a friend approaches or moves away, the size of the person’s image in the mirror will grow or shrink as our innate sense says it should.
Huh?

6 comments:

comoprozac said...

I had forgotten about that pink eye post...and my response. Funny that no one else has commented.

I get a lot of traffic for "kenny chesney gay", mostly because of this.

I haven't given up on Oberst either. He's still a great songwriter. Bryan Adams on the other hand...

Ditto on the NYT article.

Rodger Coleman said...

Hmm. How about Beck? It seemed like he was really onto something and was hyped to death, but his last several records have been merely OK. I like him, but it seems to me that he never lived up to his alleged potential.

I'll have to try that mirror thing. Thinking about it is making me dizzy.

sarah said...

That was a pretty darned cute story about your kid. And thanks for making my head hurt with the mirrors article.
*Most* of my blog views come from people searching for "tadpole facts." I did indeed title an entry that, but unfortunately for the entire English-speaking world, there wasn't a tadpole fact to be found there. It's even made me feel guilty, and I've been tempted to edit that entry and fill it with frogginess. (Or at least provide a Wikipedia link.) It's such a safe, nice topic, and somewhere some kid is just trying to do some wholesome research...I feel I shouldn't be a hinderance to that.
The pink eye people? Let them call their doctor, and also maybe recommend a nice hand sanitizer.
Is it too early to write off Clap Your Hands Say Yeah?

comoprozac said...

Let's write off Beck. Even though I like his new record, he still hasn't done anything all that amazing this decade.

I'm not ready to write off CYHSY just yet. Their second album was mostly a dud, but there is still a hint of the kind of music they're capable of recording. Their biggest problem is that they don't have a label. They put their efforts into a lot of waste. A label could help steady that ship.

How about the Sun? They were all anyone talked about at SXSW and CMJ several years back. Then their label released their full-length debut as a DVD and it tanked...Wait, I just gave the argument against my "CYHSY needs a label argument." Oh well. The Sun have still been a major letdown.

GE said...

Although Beck probably hasn't lived up to expectations, I don't think he's write-off-able, myself. And, yes, that sophomore CYHSY album was a dud, but they didn't get quite the savior of rock type hype that Oberst got.

How about The Stone Roses? First album: genius. Second album: total crap.

comoprozac said...

Stone Roses is a good one.

What about Interpol? The first album was great and second album was its dumber, slightly uglier sibling. The third album...I can't believe I stayed around long enough to buy the third album.