Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Vivas Ultra (Day 46)

Os Mutantes - "Panis Et Circenses (Bread And Circuses)"
Thurston Moore - "Wonderful Witches"
I keep saying this is not a blog about being a dad with two kids (and it's not, I swear!), but obviously it's a big part of the 99.9% of my life I'm not getting the chance to listen to some music. And sometimes, I just can't help myself. As I was listening to this Thurston Moore tune I was thinking: Firstly, I like TM's recent solo album. And, secondly, this song reminds me of a kind of hilarious thing my two-and-a-half-year-old is doing. She has a book called Each Peach Pear Plumb in which there is a wicked witch. She also has a toy broom. (Which is an odd toy because it's really just a broom, but smaller and plastic, and who wants to pretend to do something as mundane as sweeping? Answer: two-and-a-half-year-olds.) Plus she has a purple, pointy hat. She put all this together (with hat on head and broom between legs) recently
and decided that she is a wicked witch. She runs around the house proclaiming exactly that. And that's not even the cute part! (Tune in tomorrow if you'd rather poke a pencil in your eye than read about a cute two-and-a-half-year-old.) She also puts her hand out, palm facing outward, and says, "I turn you into a frog!" I have no idea where this came from. And I'm a bit concerned that she might actually figure out how to turn people into frogs. Especially since sometimes when me, or my wife, get angry or annoyed at her she simply puts her hand out the same way, without even saying anything. She's silently turning us into frogs! Ribbit.
Sparklehorse - "Dreamt For Light Years In"
Versus - "Use As Directed"
Cracker - "Night Falls"
The White Stripes - "Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine"
Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "Vivas Ultra"
Tokyo Police Club - "The Harrowing Adventures Of..."
Feist - "Park"
Coleman Hawkins & Duke Ellington - "Solitude"
The Silos - "You And Your Sister"
Alternative country, roots rock, whatever you call it, if you like it and you never heard of The Silos, take note. My first boss got me into this band. She was an under 5-foot tall whippersnapper who wore cowboy clothes and worshipped punk and classic country. She also sang in an all-female punk polka band. Anyway, she loved The Silos and it is pretty clear why. The band, led by
Walter Salas-Humara, play a brand of rock that is infused with country licks and the occasional raucous bar band wailing. It's great stuff and the in print/out of print debut album, Cuba, is a definite must-own - - if this kinda stuff is your bag.
Iron & Wine - "The Rooster Moans"
Teenage Fanclub - "What You Do To Me"
Neko Case - "Outro With Bees"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 14
Total minutes of music (approx.): 56
Song with the most previous plays: "Vivas Ultra" - 9
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I saw someone rocking a Discman. Wow. I definitely remember owning that skipping behemoth. Of course, before that, there was the Walkman. And I still remember mine. Because it was almost the exact same size as a cassette box...and I thought it was the most magnificent item in the world.



















Isn't she a beauty? (Nice tape too - - wish I'd owned that.)

3 comments:

comoprozac said...

You need a retroPod.

Anonymous said...

"You and Your Sister" was written by Salas-Humara's buddy Robert Ray, who fronted a pretty wonderful little band called the Vulgar Boatmen. (It was even the name of their first album, one of my alltime faves.) If you like the Silos, you'll like the Boatmen. Back in 1989 or '90 I saw a triple bill of the Silos, the Vulgar Boatmen and the Jayhawks at Metro in Chicago. Awesome.

GE said...

CP, hilarious.
And thanks, Pete. I'm definitely going to check the Vulgar Boatmen out.