Thursday, June 12, 2008

Abel (Day 66)

Joe Henry - "Parker's Mood"
This is yet another gorgeous song from the painfully underrated singer-songwriter and producer Joe Henry. Trivia buffs may know him as Madonna's brother-in-law (he actually wrote her 2000 hit "Don't Tell Me"). But he's really an ever-evolving artist who was once pigeonholed as an alt-country rocker, and now creates some really timeless jazz-inflected pop inhabited by characters and themes with the same emotional heft as Tom Waits. Seriously. The entire 2007 album that this song comes from, Civilians, is great. In fact, I can't believe I left "Our Song" off my Favorite Songs of 2007 list! That tune (with the evocative opening lyrics "I saw Willie Mays at a Scottsdale Home Depot. Looking at garage door springs at the far end of the 14th row..") is sublime. In addition to his own music, and producing albums by singer-songwriters like Aimee Mann and Teddy Thompson; Henry, along with Loudon
Wainwright III, composed the music for the Judd Apatow comedy Knocked Up. My man is prolific. Incidentally that movie...totally holds up after repeated viewings. And it asks the age-old question: You can get pink eye from farting on a pillow?



Bruce Springsteen - "Erie Canal"
Lambchop - "The Rise And Fall Of The Letter P"
The National - "Abel"
Bill Evans - "My Romance (Take 2)"
Beck - "We Dance Alone"
Tony Scherr - "Daily"
Art Pepper - "Valse Triste"
Blonde Redhead - "Equally Damaged"
Palace Music - "Cat's Blues"
Tortoise - "Everglade"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11

Total minutes of music (approx.): 53
Song with the most previous plays: "Abel" - 11
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: There was a guy on the subway that looked exactly like disgraced NY governor Eliot Spitzer. I was tempted to address him as Client No. 9.

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

I've had pink eye...15 years of working with kids will do that, not from farting on pillows. The bacteria that causes conjunctivitis does not usually come from feces, although I suppose any thing's possible. All I can figure is those dudes from Knocked Up must have farted without underwear, which is just plain nasty. A lot of people get it from swimming in public pools. Enjoy your summer!