Monday, July 21, 2008

High Plains Jamboree (Day 88)

Coldplay - "Spies"
Bob Marley & The Wailers - "One Love/People Get Ready"
The Band - "The Rumor"
David Cross - "Organ Donation"
Jeff Tweedy - "Walk Where He Walked" (live)
Dean & Britta - "Wait For Me"
Sloan - "Never Seeing The Ground For The Sky"
Karl Blau - "Ode To Ocean"
This is a weird one I picked up along the way. Blau is one of those prolific one-man bands that creates reams and reams of music, some of it brilliant - - a lot of it confounding. He mixes folk, 70s rock, reggae, jazz and plenty of tonal shifts to create some fairly whacked out, but enjoyable songs. And a lot of his lyrics seem to have an environmental undercurrent, which is no surprise because the dude lives in Anacrotes, Washington. Which I've been to. It's an off-the-beaten-path kinda place that is where you get a ferry to the awesomely beautiful San Juan Islands. Uh oh, might be a time for a gratuitous vacation photo.

(Orcas Island, Washington August 2007)
Tenacious D - "Drive-Thru"
Guided By Voices - "Alright"
Oakley Hall - "Free Radicals Lament"
I'm not often in a position to recommend a band, because you probably hear about all the same bands I do. But, on the off chance that you haven't heard of Oakley Hall, check them out immediately. A friend of mine in the Brooklyn band Oneida (awesome noisemakers in their own right), told me about them. A former bandmate of his named Pat Sullivan started Oakley Hall because, as allmusic puts it, he wanted to try something a little more country. What they are, literally, is the best parts of country, punk and rock rolled up in one. Seriously. And their greatest strength is the probably the harmonies of Pat and Rachel Cox who split vocals. These are not pitch-perfect Crosby, Stills and Nash type harmonies. They're more reminiscent of John Doe and Exene Cervenka of X, or more accurately one of my other favorite man-woman vocal teams, Rick Rizzo and Janet Beveridge Bean of Eleventh Dream Day. Great stuff.
Robert Earl Keen Jr. - "High Plains Jamboree"
Built To Spill - "You Are"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 49
Song with the most previous plays: "High Plains Jamboree" - 8
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Famous person sighting on the train! Except this person is dubiously "famous" and the fact that I recognized him is totally embarrassing. His name is Simon and he is on the Bravo reality show The Real Housewives of New York. Feel free to make fun of me in comments.

4 comments:

comoprozac said...

I love the San Juans. I worked on Orkas Island for a summer (or what turned out to be half the summer - long story).

Someone just sent me some Oakley Hall. Your assessment is right on. It reminds me of the Geraldine Fibbers sans Carla Bozulich's acidic vocals.

That Simon dude is an asshole...or so I've heard.

comoprozac said...

Hey, have you checked out the AV Club's "Popless" feature? This guy is going through his entire CD collection. Today's post featured some Neil Young...and I know how much you like the Neil Young.

Check it.

parallelbruno said...

thanks for the oakley hall rec.

GE said...

is that you doctor?

whoever you are, chris, thanks for stopping by.