Thursday, July 3, 2008

Oh! Sweet Nuthin' (Day 78)

Meat Puppets - "Lost"
Johnny Cash & June Carter - "Fast Boat To Sydney"
Fountains Of Wayne - "I Want An Alien For Christmas"
Blonde Redhead - "Speed X Distance = Time"
Hello to anybody who clicked over from Monitor Mix, and then decided to come back for more. (And thanks to Comoprozac for mentioning this blog in MM's comments.) It's cool to read Carrie Brownstein's thoughts on the iPod shuffle. Not only is she a writer, but she used to front a super-cool band. I totally see where she's coming from. Forcing yourself to listen to your iPod in shuffle mode can be really annoying. But my reason for shuffling songs on the way to work - - and writing this blog - - is to re-discover (or discover for the first time) all of my oft-ignored music. It would be easy to listen to whatever the flavor of the moment is (right now, Evil Urges, btw), but when you have 10,000+ songs on your iPod alone, that means a lot of orphaned children. Yes, sometimes I have to physically restrain myself from pressing 'skip'. But usually I have more of an "Oh, yeah" moment brought on either because I forgot I even had a song on there - - or because I forgot just how good a song is. The radio comparison is pretty accurate, and while duds do show up (why are The Killers even on my iPod?), my biggest complaint is those crazy shifts in mood. One minute I'm enjoying a mellow singer-songwriter and the next, Kurt Cobain is bellowing in my ear something off Bleach. Right here, for example, the buoyant pop of Fountains of Wayne was followed by the noisy dissonance of Blonde Redhead. Tough segue. But then I started getting into the moody schizophrenia of this song and realized there's a pretty good chance that over the course of a year I may have never thought to play it on my own. And now I feel like listening to a few more Blonde Redhead songs, which I will play back-to-back...on the way home.
Blur - "Gene By Gene"
Palace Brothers - "I Am A Cinematographer"
Guided By Voices - "Mincer Ray"
Danielson - "Did I Step On Your Trumpet"
Kathleen Edwards - "What Are You Waiting For?"
Whiskeytown - "Empty Baseball Park"
The Sea And The Cake - "For Minor Sky"
Ron Sexsmith - "There's a Rhythm"
Tortoise - "Ten-Day Interval"
Josh Ritter - "Still Beating"
Peter Bjorn & John - "Objects Of My Affection"
Air - "Mer Du Japon"
Nirvana - "Mr. Moustache"
The Velvet Underground - "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 18
Total minutes of music (approx.): 64
Song with the most previous plays: "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'" - 10
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I finally had a doctor look at my sore toe. (That's the reason for the unusually long playlist.) And x-rays showed it's...not broken. Although annoyingly, the doc says it still could be. Whatever. All I have to do is tape it to the second toe and wait it out. Sorry, I'll stop mentioning it now.

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

I love early Blonde Redhead, but I sort of felt let down by 23.

You make a good point about the shuffle helping you rediscover great music. I've listened to things for the first time in 10 years thanks to the shuffle.

I have to mention that "Did I Step On Your Trumpet" is a great, great song. Have you played it for your kid? I think it would be a fun song for kids.