Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Another Wound (Day 76)

Broken Social Scene - "Alive in 85"
The Beatles - "Octopus's Garden"
Serge Gainsbourg - "Mister Iceberg"
Weezer - "December"
Willie Nelson - "Gotta Serve Somebody"
The Ponys - "Another Wound"
Today's playlist was filled with a few artists that have made their way onto my iPod, even though I'm not too familiar with their music. I thought this song by The Ponys was one such song, but the 7 previous plays tells me not that I haven't heard the song, just that I'm not paying much attention to it. Too bad. The Ponys have a very cool sound reminiscent of Television and early Cure. While I like this band, and vow to give them more play, allmusic.com was downright worshipful about the record that this song appears on:
Celebration Castle confirms what anyone who heard Laced With Romance suspected -- that the Ponys are growing into one of the best and most powerfully pleasurable rock bands of their generation. If they can make another album this good, they'll be nothing short of unstoppable.
Wow. I guess I should get their 2007 Matador release Turn The LIghts Out.
Deadboy and the Elephantmen - "Misadventures of Dope"
Another good band I'm not on a first name basis with. Deadboy and the Elephantmen have more of a White Stripes garage rock sound. But their garage is much messier. We Are Night Sky (2006) is a fine rock record, too bad it's the band's first...and last. According to Wikipedia they disbanded in 2007, but frontman Dax Riggs continues to record under his own name. This Dax (not to be confused with this Dax), sounds like an interesting dude. At the very least, he has a knack for naming bands. Here is a list of some of his former outfits:

  • Dry Pussy
  • Corruption
  • Golgotha
  • Acid Bath
  • Daisyhead & The Mooncrickets
  • Agents of Oblivion
  • Deadboy and the Elephantmen
  • T-Daks & His White Plastic Soul and Dax Riggs
This guy can name my band any day.
The Flying Burrito Brothers - "Break My Mind"
The Beatles - "Revolution 1"
Stars - "Barricade"
Sufjan Stevens - "Saul Bellow"
Guided By Voices - "Want One?"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12
Total minutes of music (approx.): 44
Song with the most previous plays: "Another Wound" - 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I'm pretty sure I broke my big toe. It's been over a week since I stubbed on an uneven bit of sidewalk - - while wearing flip-flops - - and it's still throbbing.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

My sister dubbed that Ponys disc for me. Can't say I've much attention to it myself.

Hey, what's your top records of this year so far?

sarah said...

Hmm...apparently I need to listen to the Ponys. (Or, more likely, get the album and then never listen to it. That's what I do.)
Hope your toe gets better. Ouch.