Thursday, July 31, 2008

Clementine (Day 96)

Broken Social Scene - "Pitter Patter Goes My Heart"
Uncle Tupelo - "Nothing"
fIREHOSE - "From One Cums One"
Fugazi - "And The Same"
This little Fugazi, fIREHOSE block had me totally flashing back to New Jersey c. 1990. I think technically the fIREHOSE album If'n came out in 1987, but Fugazi's 13 Songs was definitely from 1990. Or as I like to call it, the year before I left town for college and basically drove around and listened to music when not hanging out with friends and listening to music. I know, it was a tough life - - but those were some very formative musical years, people! If I wasn't listening to cassettes, or a Discman, which I lovingly strapped to a tiny pillow on the floor of the car under the dash to avoid skipping, I probably had the radio tuned to the Jersey Shore alternative station 106.3. It was actually a great station they may very well have played either of these songs. Matt PInfield was one fo the DJs. Remember him? He wound up on MTV's 120 Minutes. That was another great source for new music in the mid-90s, but check out this interview he did with Sebadoh. It's hard to believe this kind of thing ever aired on TV. From Matt's less-than-stellar interview skills to Lou Barlow and Co's awkward uncomfortableness. Classic.



One other related thing: If you don't know the story of fIREHOSE, it's worth recounting. Both Mike Watt (bass) and George Hurley (drums) were headed towards cross-over stardom in the Minutemen when frontman D. Boon was killed in a car accident. The remaining members were totally crushed and not sure what they were going to next when a 22-year-old Minutemen fanatic named Ed Crawford found Watt's number and called him up out of the blue saying he wanted to play with them. The balls! They liked the guy and formed a new trio, fIREHOSE. Incidentally this is one of the best live bands I have ever seen.
Gnarls Barkley - "The Boogie Monster"
Outkast - "She Lives In My Lap"
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - "Heart In the Hand Of The Mat"
Billy Bragg and Wilco - "Feed Of Man"
Wilco - "Dreamer In My Dreams"
Bob Marley & The Wailers - "So Much Things To Say"
O'Death - "Jesus Look Down"
Flight Of The Conchords - "A Kiss Is Not A Contract"
Taj Mahal - "Blind Boy Rag"
Destroyer - "Thief"
The Decembrists - "Clementine"
The Moldy Peaches - "Goodbye Song"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 16
Total minutes of music (approx.): 52
Song with the most previous plays: "Clementine" - 12
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: The humidity was 998% (approx.).

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

Interesting beginning today. The BSS song foreshadows some early loves: Uncle Tupelo, fIREHOSE, Fugazi. Ah, I don't think the kids today know what they missed from the early 90's.

I believe Crawford was from Ohio...woo-hoo!

Is that Decemberists' track an Elliott Smith cover?

Bradford Pearson said...

Uncle Tupelo and two Wilco tracks! Mystery mystery