Friday, July 25, 2008

Evening On The Ground (Lilith's Song) [Day 92]

The Roots - "Criminal"
It's Friday, late afternoon and I'm busy. Sounds like a day for a quick thought on each song instead of some longer treatise. Leading things off is this track from The Roots new album, Rising Down. Groovy - - and with a socially conscious message! The Roots are one of those hip-hop groups that you can't pin down, in a good way.
Pete Yorn - "Georgie Boy"
I'm an unapologetic fan of Music For The Morning After, but the follow-up that this song comes from, Nightcrawler, was basically a dud.
Sonic Youth - "Kissability"
Who didn't fall in love with Kim Gordon a little bit after hearing this song?
Death Cab For Cutie - "Your New Twin Sized Bed"
A lot of people panned the new DCFC album, I kinda like it. This song is a Ben Gibbard twist on a classic break-up song ("You look so defeated lying there in your new twin size bed.")

No Age - "Things I Did When I Was Dead"
I'm not sure I'm on board with these SubPop newbies...
Cat Power - "Lost Someone"
Chan Marshall makes a song her own like no other. This James Brown cover is a great example.
Ray LaMontagne - "Can I Stay"
Add this to the one-hit-wonders file. I really enjoyed the album Trouble, but the follow-up Till The Sun Turns Black was a huge disappointment.
Iron & Wine - "Evening On The Ground (Lilith's Song)"
Oh man, if I had more time I see a great list here. This song is from the Iron & Wine's amazing Woman King EP - - an EP that I will confidently say is one of my 10 Favorite EPs Of All Time. Full list will have to wait for another day, but I can give you a sneak peek at Numero Uno.
Belle & Sebastian - "Nice Day For A Sulk"
No one sings the sad like Stuart Murdoch. Especially sad tinged with weird. "Nice day for a sulk //
The girl smells of milk // Her horsey teeth explode around us." I hate when that happens.
Jim James - "The Bear" (live)
I just realized something horrible. I don't own The Tennessee Fire, the album this song originally appeared on! That will be remedied post-haste.
The Fiery Furnaces - "Clear Signal From Cairo"
This song opens with a riff that might make James Hetfield put on a headphones. It's kinda awesome.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 41
Song with the most previous plays: "Evening On The Ground (Lilith's Song)" - 10
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I have to post this, because who knows how long it will last.

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

Funny. I thought I was the only one who bought into the Pet Yorn thing, only to grow tired of his pretty=boy whine.

I actually listened to "Kissability" while at the gym today. I put my entire Sonic Youth collection on shuffle.

I'm back and forth on No Age. They need to put out another album quickly so that I can make up my mind.

Lastly, I think we would have two of the same choices on our top EP's list. I can't think of a better choice than your #1.