Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Upon This Tidal Wave Of Young Blood (Day 140)

The Decembrists - "Apology Song"
Neil Young - "Cortez The Killer" (live)
Earlimart - "Bloody Nose"
Jeff Tweedy - "The Ruling Class" (live)
Bruce Springsteen - "Mansion On The Hill"
Josh Rouse - "God, Please Let Me Go Back"
The Beatles - "Your Mother Should Know"
Okay, you happy now? It's a nice long playlist to chew over. So, what happened? Did aliens abduct me on the way to work and double my commute. Nope, but something just as unlikely - - I went to the gym! Schedule permitting, this could become a Tuesday thing. It's a win-win for all of us. More songs on the blog... and rock hard abs. I think I mentioned this the one other time I went to the gym in the past 140 weekdays, but here it goes again: it's tough to shuffle while you work out. Not all music makes you want to do that extra set. And, of course, this group of songs started in a very mellow fashion. In fact every song leading up to this Beatles tune would make much more sense in a coffee house than a house of pain like the gym. But, I was into it. I was able to focus on the job at hand, and the music, and it was a pretty nice run of songs that seemed to go particularly well together. The highlights? Well, Earlimart was a very pleasant surprise. Haven't spent a ton of time with this lush California pop band, and at first I was pretty convinced it was actually Mojave 3. But in addition to the male vocals, there's also some fine female pipes harmonizing along with him. I'm gonna have to dig in at a later date. Then there was this really good Jeff Tweedy song recorded at the Letters To Santa Barbara benefit. "Ruling Class" imagines that Jesus Christ as a drug and surfing addict. Very funny. And the whole thing culminated in this jaunty little Beatles tune from Magical Mystery Tour - - an album I realized during my cool down stretching that I don't know very well, minus the hits "Penny Lane," "All You Need Is Love," etc. It's also just then that I realized, who needs breakneck beats and wailing vocals? I was actually sweating to the oldies.



The Clash - "Rockers Galore" (live)
Outkast - "Slum Beautiful"
Sonny Rollins - "Funky Hotel Blues"
Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah - "Upon This Tidal Wave Of Young Blood"
Pixies - "The Holiday Song" (live)
Cat Power - "Willie"
Gomez - "How We Operate"
Modest Mouse - "Steam Engenius"
Death Cab For Cutie - "Company Calls (Epilogue)"
Destroyer - "Canadian Lover/Falcon's Escape"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 17
Total minutes of music (approx.): 71
Song with the most previous plays: "Upon This Tidal Wave Of Young Blood" - 9
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 8
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: My daughter and I ran into one of her classmates on the bus. I suggested we should rechristen it the "party bus" and they ran with it. Two kids began to yell "party bus, party bus" at the top of their lungs. I bet the other commuters really enjoyed that.

No comments: