Wednesday, October 1, 2008

This Is Not What You Had Planned (Day 136)

The Thermals - "Back To The Sea"
Nirvana - "Here She Comes Now"
Red House Painters - "Long Distance Runaround"
Wow. What a couple of great covers back-to-back. I know it's on the With The Lights Out compilation, but I don't know much more about the Nirvana cover of the Velvet Underground classic. I'll be back... Okay, so it's from a 1991 split-single that they put out with The Melvins (who did "Venus in Furs"). The opening guitar riff is vey un-Kurt. In fact, at first, I thought it was Dean Wareham and that this was Luna. Not surprising, I suppose, since Luna is often described as VU-sounding. The vocals gave it away, naturally. And then right on the heels of that tune, a very cool Yes cover by Mark Kozelek's slowcore band. Love it. As a rule, I think the world needs more Yes covers. For all their self-indulgent bullshit, I always get excited when I hear the occasional
Yes tune. Even songs off Tormato. (Did I write that?)
My Morning Jacket - "Gideon" (live)
Pavement - "Box Elder"
The Wrens - "This Is Not What You Had Planned"
The Starlight Mints - "Brass Digger"
Stars - "My Favourite Book"
Nada Serf - "Ice Box"
My Morning Jacket - "The Bear"
Regina Spector - "Begin To Hope"
Paul Westerber - "Anyway's All Right"
Palace Music - "Old Jerusalem"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 52
Song with the most previous plays: "This Is Not What You Had Planned"- 8
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: No school today. Bummer, I miss my tiny commute-mate.

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

First, great start. I figgin' love The Thermals.

Second, I actually own the Melvins/Nirvana 7" about which you have written.

Third, there was a movie made not too long ago, based here in COMO called Box Elder. Interestingly, the Pavement song that did make the soundtrack was "Summer Babe," not BE. You can read my review on the film's IMDB entry or my blog.

Fourth, this play list deserved at least an 8, if not a 9.

Fifth, did you have coffee cake anyway?