Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy (Day 142)

The Replacements - "Skyway"
Midlake - "Some Of Them Are Superstitious"
Today's thought comes from the "He Said / She Said" file. In other words, interesting observations about men and women that probably are so cliched they belong on a sitcom, but yet still seem to ring true. Specifically, how does your lady friend or guy friend listen to music? It is my experience that women seem to have what I will call a "singles approach," while guys are more AOR or "album oriented." For example, when ipodwidow likes a song, she plays it...to death! We will listen to that song and only that song, on repeat, until she no longer wants to listen to anything. It's not that she doesn't have good taste, because she does, but it's very focused. I bring this up here, not because "Some Of Them Are Superstitious" is one of those songs, but rather because this song reminds me of another thing about ipodwidow's consumption of music. (This one I think may be particular to her.) Whenever she hears a piece of music it almost always reminds her of something else. We'll be listening to a song and she'll say, for example, "Oh, that sounds exactly like Sufjan Stevens." Now there may be similarities, but I don't always make such an immediate connection the way she does. This song made me think of this because this time I did actually think that the melody of this song sounded a lot like "Neon Bible" by The Arcade Fire. Anyone else want to chime in on the differences between the ways men and women listen to music? While your thinking about it, I'll go make up the couch for sleeping tonight...
DJ Shadow - "What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1-Blue Sky Revisit) / Transmission 3"
The Frames - "Happy"
David Bowie - "Fame"
The Olivia Tremor Control - "King Of Claws"
Bob Marley & The Wailers - "The Heathen"
Teenage Fanclub - "Don't Need A Drum"
Bob Dylan - "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again" (alternate take)
Bishop Allen - "Penitentiary Bound"
Joao Gilberto & Stan Getz - "Girl From Impanema"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 45
Song with the most previous plays: "Happy" - 13
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: No school today.

6 comments:

comoprozac said...

I have to disagree with the "singles approach" theory...although, not completely. R doesn't listen to a song over and over (and neither have any of my other lady friends).

They often have grown tired of a band when I listened to an entire album. For example, R hates it when I listen to an entire Walkmen album. She likes a few of their songs scattered on a mixed tape, but not an entire album.

If there is a generalization I have found with women and their listening habits it is that they are way more selective than men. R likes Broken Social Scene, Morissey, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, and Sea & Cake. That's it. That's the list. High on quality, low on quantity. (Of course, those bands represent maybe 1% of my tastes.)

I think your wife's preference for singles has more to do with her stint producing a show for MTV. I mean, they have created this singles culture in which we listen to music.

That, and I blame the youth. Kids these days only listen to 99 cent singles, but whatever. (I think I shouldn't have had that last beer. Good discussion starter.)

sarah said...

Hi, token girl here...I actually do know many girls who are single-centric, and occasionally I get that way over a song, but it's pretty rare that I do. (Except right now...I've driven everyone insane with "White Winter Hymnal," and you are slightly to blame.) I don't know if that's something you can generalize. My husband is less album-oriented and more singlesy than me. (He's had the same crummy songs on his iPod for, like, 6 years. It's killing me...)(Tonight, I sleep on my own couch.)
Here's something I have noticed about the music gender gap: most girls don't like psychedelic/space rock (I do, so again, I'm probably not the go-to girl on this subject.) And most of us hate Pink Floyd.

comoprozac said...

I hate Pink Floyd. I also realized - after much soul searching - that I will play the shit out of a song.

comoprozac said...

Tag.

GE said...

I standby my theory. And CP, you've always trumpeted your feminine side, so I think you totally support my findings. Sarah, you seem way to cool to be put into any kind of box, obv. The debate rages on....

(BTW, not sure I'll be able to fulfill the chain blog, CP. So much work!)

comoprozac said...

I figured. Just throwing it out there. Plus, you've got a good thing going.