Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sunshine And Clouds (And Everything Proud) [Day 150]

Radiohead - "The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy"
Ry Cooder - "Cardboard Avenue"

My Bloody Valentine - "Soon"

Talking Heads - "Tentative Decisions"
A real grab bag today with songs and artists (Holly Golightly?) that I don't think have ever shown up here before. But the one song that stands out for me is this one right here. What a cool freaking band the Talking Heads were. (Can I get a witness?) All that nervous energy, disjointed temp, and later, Afro-Caribbean beats. All in a nerdy, new wave package. The only one of their albums I happen to have on my iPod is their first (Talking Heads '77), which is cool because it is such an original debut (right, Tapes 'n Tapes?). And this is one of the songs that is a bit lost on the album with "Uh - Oh, Love Comes To Town" and "Psycho Killer," but I really like it. David Byrne in his best robotic voice starts off by sing-talking the lyrics: "Now that I can release my tension, let me make clear my best intention. Girls ask can I define decision. Boys ask can I describe their function." And then there's a march like drum roll and then the song is off in another direction completely. It works so well because the song is as indecisive as the lyrics ("Decide! Decide! Make up your mind!") The Talking Heads were also the first band that made me fully realize the intersection of music and fine art. Part of the reason was their art house sensibilities and the other was this book that I had called "What The Songs Look Like," that featured artists' interpretations of their songs (drawings, puppets, you name it). It was very cool, and to be honest I have no idea where that book went. Too bad. I would love to see the artist's interpretation of this song. In the meantime, how about a picture of the band? I found it on a very cool website that I came across recently which features a lot of great images and ephemera from years gone by. Check it out.














Sleater-Kinney - "Steep Air"
Holly Golightly - "A Length Of Pipe"

Clap Your Hands And Say Yeah - "Sunshine And Clouds (And Everything Proud)"

Jim O'Rourke - "Eureka"


And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 8
Total minutes of music (approx.): 35
Song with the most previous plays: "Sunshine And Clouds (And Everything Proud)" - 15
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I'm getting pumped for the World Series. Not nearly as pumped as fans in Tampa Bay, however.









My predcition (hope): Rays in 7.

3 comments:

sarah said...

Woot, Talking Heads. My dad made me watch lots of Stop Making Sense when I was a kid, and I'm grateful for it. Great band.
Interesting playlist today.
Also, go Phillies!

Anonymous said...

The Rays and Phillies snooze. How about some real sports like Man United dominating Celtic in the UEFA Champions league. Baseball has become stuck in some wierd Cricket, like, slow motion. I quess if you have kids you can take care of them between the pitches. How anyone can actually watch a game at 11:30 PM without falling asleep is beyond me.

GE said...

To be honest, I did fall asleep. But that's only because I had been up since 5:30am!