Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Will Dream (Day 149)

Wilco - "Magazine Called Sunset"
She & Him - "I Was Made For You"
Son Volt - "Methamphetamine"
Emmylou Harris - "I Will Dream"
Hüsker Dü - "Reoccurring Dreams"
Here's one that tested the "rules" of this blog. Really there's one "rule" - - shuffle and don't skip. Well, after a great start to today's playist (special nod by the way to the She & Him song "I Was Made For You," what a cool little tune that approximates a 50s-era girl group song), here comes "Reoccurring Dreams." Now, I appreciate Zen Arcade on many levels. It really is the missing link between punk and alternative rock. You can almost hear where music is going in the next 10 years and picture Paul Westerberg rising from the primordial ooze. I mean any album with "Never Talking To You Again" and "Indecision Time" is a special record. But, that doesn't mean I really want to hear all 14 minutes of "Reoccurring Dreams" on my way to work. I mean intellectually it's very cool: an epic instrumental, almost space-age jam, that closes a sprawling concept album - - by a punk band! (I bet this song made Wayne Coyen, hanging out somewhere in Oklahoma, sit up and take notice.) But by minute 6 of the song, I have to confess, I was fingering the iPod ever so lightly. What if I just pressed skip? I could even blog that I listened to the song. Maybe I would blog about how annoying it was.
No one would ever know!
Elliott Smith - "Between The Bars"
Maritime - "Human Beings"
The Velvet Underground - "The Gift"
The Elected - "Not Going Home"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 9
Total minutes of music (approx.): 48
Song with the most previous plays: "I Will Dream" - 10
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 5
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Just, ya know, making my way through the "ground zero of anti-America."



6 comments:

comoprozac said...

This is why I have yet to do a post using your formula. I always have to skip songs. I love the album, but iPod shuffle kills the filler.

Since I am someone who lives in Real America (McCain ate lunch here on Monday), I would like to point out that you also belong to the liberal media and are an elitist (since you attended a highfalutin fancy school up north. Just sayin'.

GE said...

CP, you forgot to mention how much I love arugula. Seriously.

comoprozac said...

True. You probably also like dry red wines that don't say "Boone's Farm" on the label. Also, you own one of those iPod doo-hickies. Those things were worn by the terrorists when they hijacked those planes.

(That may have just gone too far.)

Did you watch the two segments that followed the one you posted? Funny stuff.

Anonymous said...

As much as I love the band, I have to agree with you on "Reoccuring Dreams." [What was with these guys and instrumentals? The two (!) lame ones that closed Flip Your Wig totally deflated the impact of that otherwise great album, and "Dreams" did much the same to Zen Arcade.] Hey, go ahead and skip - had you done so on this playlist, you would have had the pleasure of hearing "Between the Bars" that much sooner.

comoprozac said...

I have to agree with Pete. Maybe you should skip songs you don't like. That could be part of your statistics at the end of each post. (Number of Skips: 4) Skipping a song says a lot about the listener, his mood, and the song itself.

GE said...

Oh no! A skip movement is born. I appreciate both your comments, but I do think sticking to the original plan is the best thing for the blog. The original intent was to purposely force myself to listen to all that music that I've been ignoring because of mood, whim and current obsessions. And I can handle the few duds from time to time. Besides there's always the way home from work for playing exactly what I want. Maybe I need to start mentioning some of those songs...