Monday, October 6, 2008

The Bunker (Day 139)

Money Mark - "Radiate Nothing"
The Velvet Underground - "Lady Godiva's Operation"
Nirvana - "Blew"
Bob Dylan - "Ballad Of A Think Man" (live)
TV On The Radio - "Dancing Choose"
I'm on record as saying that I just don't get TV On The Radio. Well, I might be flip-flopping. The new CD Dear Science has recently been uploaded to my iPod. (Yes, this begs the question: Why would a CD by a band you don't like be on your iPod, ass? First of all, be nice. Secondly - - true story - - I found it in the "break room" at work in a pile where people leave junk they're trying to get rid of. What was I suppose to do? Not take it?) So it's on there, but I've actually never listened to it. But today, this song pops up on the shuffle. Me like. I've scanned a few reviews, so I'm aware that the album is a) being well received, and b) something of a departure for the band, sound-wise. Well, if this song is any indication, they've definitely lightened up. "Dancing Choose" has a funky electronic back beat and is kinda reminiscent of R.E.M's "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)." And here's the other thing, I think it's speaking directly to the current shitstorm of a world we're living in. It's a bit vague, but what do you think?

though he expresses some confusion
bout his part in the plan,
and he can't understand
that he's not in command;
the decisions underwritten
by the cash in his hand
bought a sweater for
his weimaraner too
My take is that the problems are mostly beyond our control... and yet we continue to spend and consume like there's nothing going on. Not true in my household - - I still don't have the HD TV I've craved for over a year. Fiscal responsibility, people! And, finally, since I've gone a tad political here, I have to share this: The coolest Obama endorsement ever.
Beirut - "The Bunker"
Tortoise & Bonnie "Prince" Billy - "It's Expected I'm Gone"
Beck - "Cellphone's Dead"
Silkworm - "White Lightning"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 9
Total minutes of music (approx.): 38
Song with the most previous plays: "Beirut"- 9
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: When I dropped my not-quite-three-year-old at school this morning the usual "Please stay 5 minutes, daddy" was replaced by "You can go to work now, daddy." That hurts.

1 comment:

Uncle E said...

I don't have a greying ponytail (yet), so I don't find much use for TVOTR. Always thought they were trying to hard to appeal to the indie hipster set. I know I'm in the minority here, but may have to give the new one a listen, but this'll be the last time...