Friday, September 19, 2008

See The Light (Day 128)

Tortoise - "A Survey"
Sparklehorse - "See The Light"
Galaxie 500 - "Blue Thunder"
R.E.M. - "Strange Currencies" (live)
The Books - "Bonanza"
Rilo Kiley - "Accidental Death"
Bob Dylan - "Ballad Of A Thin Man" (live)
The Flaming Lips - "There You Are - Jesus Song No. 7"
I was not loving today's playlist at all. I'd just dropped my daughter at school, and was a bit stressed out due to her clinginess and reluctance for me to leave. (It was only her fifth day, so separation anxiety is obviously going to linger, but still...) That first song often sets the tone for a day's music and the Tortoise tune above left me bored and certainly didn't help get my mind off our morning. From there I continued to underwhelmed... and then there was this song - - it flat-out irritated me. Now, I'm an admitted late adopter of The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi), so the early stuff like this song off of 1990's In A Priest Driven Ambulance is relatively new to me. So when I heard this mellow ballad featuring Wayne Coyne and an acoustic guitar intercut with some other loud, squalling song, I assumed it was just part of their "art." But, oh, how annoying! Back and forth, like a skipping record it alternated between these two completely dissimilar songs. This isn't art, I screamed (in my head), this is crap! Yeah, so, only now, going over the playlist, did it dawn on me that that might not have been the song, but actually some iPod glitch causing this strange cross-pollination of tunes. I found the same song online, and, sure enough, it's really just supposed to be that pleasant acoustic jam. The file is just corrupted. How annoying is that?
The Who - "The Real Me"
Nada Surf - "Treading Water" (live)

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 39
Song with the most previous plays: "See The Light" - 8
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 3
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I haven't really mentioned the Mets. Mostly because I don't know what to say. They are hanging on to a playoff spot, their sanity and fans' loyalty by a thread. I'm sure come Monday I'll have more to share - - be it joy or pain.




















Yes, Jose. I'm talking to you.

1 comment:

Uncle E said...

I love the Lips, but have a hard time getting into anything pre-Transmissions from The Satellite Heart. Don't know why. Sparklehorse has always kind of annoyed me, again I can't put my finger on it, but I think it's the nasel tone he sings in. And any list that ends with The Real Me is ok in my books!