Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Diggin' A Grave (Day 126)

Wolf Parade - "Bang Your Drum"
Albert Hammond, Jr. - "Scared"
Gang Of Four - "5.45"
Micah P. Hinson - "Diggin' A Grave"
Ry Cooder - "Green Dog"
This one goes out to my dog, K.C. (Note: How weird that I mentioned I wanted to tell a dog story, and a dog song pops up on the shuffle?) She's not green, but she certainly felt a gentle shade of pea walking home from the vet last night with me, still under the effects of anaesthesia. Oh, right, and with only half of her right ear. Poor girl. It was a rough day for all of us yesterday, worst for her. Basically I take her to the park every morning for a little exercise. She roams around off leash - - which is perfectly legal before 9 a.m. She does have a bit of a dominant personality and is no stranger to letting other dogs know who's boss - - especially those stupid little ones. (She's a 65 pound uber-mutt. Part lab, part shepherd, part whatever else.) What brings out the worst in her (and a lot of dogs for that matter) is meeting up with another dog on a leash when she's off leash (or vice versa). So...we both spy a dog across the way who is about K.C.'s size, but on a leash. K.C. crouches down and does her I'm-going-to-give-that-dog-a-piece-of-my-mind pose. This happens often, but K.C. usually barks at the other dog and moves on. This time they got into. First K.C. barked, but then the other dog practically jumped out of its skin, barking and jawing in K.C.'s face. I called her and she almost immediately came - - but the damage was done. As we walked away, I glanced down at her and saw a lot of blood on her ear. The tip was partially torn off and dangling. I spun around to tell the other dog's owner that her dog bit mine, but she immediately started yelling at me about keeping my dog on leash etc. At this point, I was really most concerned with getting K.C. home and then to the vet, so I didn't have the wherewithal to argue with her. (For the record: I think the "fault" in this situation was with both dogs. Yes, K.C. shouldn't have run up and started barking at that dog. But I know, from having her for 5 1/2 years that this is just what she does and she is not violent or menacing. In fact usually she wants to play - - albeit a little rough. And, she's not the one who did the biting! ipodwidow, naturally, blames me and thinks I should never let K.C. near another dog on leash...) We did go to the vet, but not before she shook her bloody head so many times that I wound up looking like the killer in a slasher flick. Sadly the piece of ear could not be saved and they had to snip it off and suture her up. (You don't want to know who much that cost.) I guess it adds character...but look how cute she was. Sorry, K.C. is.














Radiohead - "Dollars & Cents"
Pavement - "Saganaw"
Rufus Wainwright - "In My Arms"
Mercury Rev - "Opus 40"
Weezer - "Automatic"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 40
Song with the most previous plays: "Diggin' A Grave" - 8
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Day 2 of taking my daughter to school, and she's found her favorite part of our trip: coffee cake muffin!

2 comments:

sarah said...

Aww, poor dog. I'm glad she's okay. I love big dogs, but my husband (aka The Breadwinner) doesn't...so we have a dachshund (hmph) and a beagle/dachshund mix (not as bad.)
Mmm, coffee cake muffin. That really is a nice way to start the day!
Great songs today. I have to admit I've grown used to scanning down to see your rating, and am always a little sad to see it gone. Bring it back so I can question your reasoning! :)

comoprozac said...

It's not whose fault, rather we should all feel bad for your dog. Does she have to wear one of those satellite things?

Are you liking the new Wolf Parade? I like immensely.