Thursday, September 11, 2008

Guest Room (Day 122)

Frank Black - "Golden Shore"
The Raconteurs - "Top Yourself"
Clem Snide - "Joan Jett Of Arc"
Johnny Cash - "Gentle On My Mind"
Interpol - "All Fired Up"
Belle & Sebastian - "Don't Leave The Light On Baby"
Stereolab - "Double Rocker"
The Clash - "Clash City Rockers"
Stereolab - "Rainbo Conversation"
There were definitely some new titles on today's playlist. In fact, the average number of previous plays for all the songs I listened to was: 2.27. Wow, that's some fresh meat. Making rare appearances were: Interpol, Clem Snide, and Stereolab - - which showed up not one, but two times. Strangely, on paper this British band doesn't seem like something I'd like: Electronic, dance beats, Marxist philosophy sung in French, etc. And yet the sum of its parts is a kitschy and groovy thing all its own. It took the live show to hook me. They opened for Yo La Tengo at NYC's
Tramps in 1996, and what sounds repetitive and drone-like at times on record, becomes a very cool, almost trance-like, experience live. I tend to think of them as the electronic version of My Bloody Valentine, in that they transcend repetition to create something organic and cool. Or something. The band's high water mark was probably the album Emperor Tomato Ketchup which came out that same year that I saw them live. Your Stereolab fun fact o' the day: ETK is named after a 1971 avant garde Japanese film. Meanwhile, in confirming the date of the show, I came across one person's review of Yo La Tengo's performance that was trapped on some list-serve archived on the Web. (Translation: This was pre-blog, people.) Anyway, it's cool to read a fan's first impressions of a show that I was probably too drunk to properly remember. (Sorry for the weird formatting.)
stretched out a lot...several new numbers at least as abstract as most of
_Painful_. They opened quietly with "Superstar-Watcher" then blasted into a
cover of Wire's "Too Late" (from _Chairs Missing_). They did a few from
_Painful_, including frenzied organ meltdowns on "Sudden Organ" and "Big Day
Coming" and a great version of "Double Dare." Only "Satellite" and an
utterly brilliant version on "Five-Cornered Drone (Crispy Duck)" from _May I
Sing With Me_. They encored with "I Threw It All Away" and "I Heard Her Call
My Name" (!!!), which at least matched the VU version in freakout intensity.
In fact, they were doing a lot of the freakout/feedback stuff that night
My Morning Jacket - "I Think I'm Going To Hell" (live)
The National - "Guest Room"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 46
Song with the most previous plays: "Guest Room" - 4
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I felt about 14 pounds lighter than yesterday.

4 comments:

sarah said...

See, here's another playlist I'd personally score higher than a 6. You are a seriously tough judge when it comes to shuffle. I'm always pleased as pie if I get 3 or 4 favorites out of 10.
I've been going through a Stereolab revival here lately, and am looking forward to seeing them in Chapel Hill on the 29th. One week in 1999, I passed up the chance to see them one day and Beulah the next, and I've regretted it ever since.
Marxist philosophy in French? *Totally* my thing.

Anonymous said...

14 lbs you would gladly carry anytime. IS COMPROZAC ON VACATION. We miss him. By the way Avenett (sp) Bros. Were pretty good. Do you have them in the Ipod.

GE said...

Yeah, thanks for calling BS on the rating, Sarah. I think I'm about ready to abandon it. At this point it's pretty random. The problem is I like almost all the playlists (it is my music after all). Some are exceptional, but if it's good it gets a 7 or 8. But then I feel like I'm being redundant so I change it to a 6, just to be different. Makes no sense. It's gone.

Haven’t downloaded any Avett Brothers yet, but I plan to. Meanwhile, our pal Comoprozac is not on vacation. Quite the opposite - - he just had a baby girl (named Lucia). So, congrats to him.

sarah said...

Aww, I wasn't calling you on anything. I was just saying that I personally thought it was a pretty good shuffle day, and therefore I personally would've given it a better score. And I do understand the whole rating thing: I like everything on my iPod, of course, but some days a random set of songs might be an 8 and on another day the same batch would get a 4. It would depend a (whole) lot on what you were in the mood to hear.
I do dig the rating bit, and if you were ever going to make this blog your full time job (hey, ya never know), then I'd say keep the ratings, but explain them. Because you have all sorts of time, right?
I'm the only person, perhaps in the US and definitely in NC, that isn't knocked out by the Avett Brothers. Now there's a band I'd give a 6 to, on a good day. Today they're a 4. NC State's station plays them into the ground (them and the same mediocre Rilo Kiley song.)
Holy cow, I sound so curmudgeon-y today. Umm, up with people!