Monday, September 29, 2008

The Bagman's Gambit (Day 134)

The Decembrists - "The Bagman's Gambit"
Thelonious Monk - "Ruby, My Dear (take 2)"
Reigning Sound - "Wait And See"

Calexico / Iron & Wine - "Burn That Broken Bed"

Prince - "I Would Die 4 U" (live)

Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run" (live)

Echo And The Bunnymen - "An Eternity Turns"

Neil Young - "Comes A Time"
I tried to will a Built to Spill song today, but my iPod-ESP was not working. (Must be the cold I'm suffering from.) In any event, the BTS song would have given me a chance to talk about the highlight of my weekend (non-family related, naturally). Since BTS didn't come around, I'll use Neil as a proxy -- because Doug Martsch and Co. do a rip-roaring "Cortez The Killer." So, yes, it's hard to believe this weekend had a highlight given that-thing-which-I-can-not-even-mention, but it did. I saw Built to Spill on Friday night. Photographic proof:















You want a review? Okay, here's a quickie: Holy fucking shit. Now, I have always been a huge fan of the 1996 album Perfect From Now On, but to see it performed in its entirety, in all its sonic brilliance and in all the intensity that Martsch delivers live - - I was downright moved. I think the album may have just cracked the all-time Top 10. Okay that's a nearly impossible list to make, but I will say Top 25 - - confidently. And to top it off, Dinosaur Jr. opened - - the reunited Dinosaur Jr. I'm not sure I've seen a band rock harder in the past few years. Amazing.
Ween - "A Tear For Eddie"
Bright Eyes - "Stray Dog Freedom"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 10
Total minutes of music (approx.): 44
Song with the most previous plays: "The Bagman's Gambit" - 8
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: No sports section today - - baseball is dead to me.


2 comments:

comoprozac said...

I wondered whether you would mention that-thing-which-you-can-not-even-mention or not.

I'm glad you had the BTS show to take your mind off the debacle. PFNO would be a great album to see in its entirety. I also saw Dino Jr not long ago. They have to be the loudest band I have ever seen...well...ever.

sarah said...

Lucky you! That would have to be an incredible show. I was just getting over all my MBV envy and then you spring this on me...
Hope you're feeling better. I, too, have a cold, and I don't think people with colds get enough sympathy.