Friday, September 26, 2008

Creature Fear (Day 133)

Bob Mould - "Dreaming, I Am"
Albert Hammond, Jr. - "Bright Young Thing"
I'll say it: Albert Hammond Jr.'s solo music...way better than The Strokes. I, for one, hated The Strokes when they first broke. All that hype and I would listen to their music and think, That's It? The music sounded like garage rock-lite, to me, and Julian Casablancas voice sounded as if he was trying oh-so-hard to sound bored, disaffected, drunk and ultimately cool. But, on their later albums I started to come around a bit and found myself actually listening to 2006's First Impressions of Earth quite a bit. I think once the hype faded, I could enjoy them just for their music and I really like FOE's "Razorblade" quite a bit. (Incidentally, does anyone else hear the melody of Barry Manilow's "Mandy" when they listen to that song??) But none of it prepared me for AH Jr's debut, which is a great pop record - - all sunny hooks and golden grooves. I hear his second solo album, Como Te Llama, is a bit more Strokes-ian. Too bad.
Pavement - "Recorder Grot"
The Rolling Stones - "Stray Cat Blues"
Oakley Hall - "Free Radicals Lament"
Bon Iver - "Creature Fear"
X - "Present"
Outkast - "Flip Flop Rock"
Sloan - "Never Seeing The Ground For The Sky"
Sonny Rollins - "There Will Never Be Another You"
Cansei de Ser Sexy - "Meeting Paris Hilton"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 45
Song with the most previous plays: "Creature Fear" - 9
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Sorry, still obsessing about the baseball. After a huge win last night, the Mets remain tied with Milwaukee for the Wild Card and ONE game behind the Phillies for the division. Three more games over the weekend should determine the outcome (weather permitting) of this most-tumultuous season. Some choice images from yesterday:















3 comments:

Uncle E said...

A HUGE belated thanks to you, GE, for introducing me to my latest obsession, Sloan. I lived in Canada for over 18 years, but Sloan kinda went unnoticed. Until I bought, upon your recomendation, Never Hear The End Of It. I have gone back and purchased every single back catalogue album, then the newest, and have been seriously enjoying the hell out of 'em ever since.
Ta again!

Oh, and BTW, total agreement on the Strokes and Mr. Hammond Jr....

GE said...

My pleasure, E. How do you rate One Chord To Another? My personal favorite...

Uncle E said...

Yes, and although that's not my favorite album overall it does contain some of my favorite songs, foremost being Everything You've Done Wrong (dig those Burt Bacharach horns!), The Lines You Ammend and The Good In Everyone. But, hey, I'm just starting out in the wonderful world of SLoan. Things could change.
Oh, and in case you're wondering the album du jour is Between The Bridges.
I bet you're sorry you asked...