Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Daddy Day Care (Day 121)


Yup, that's me. Along with my 5-and-a-half-month-old son. And we're both on the way to work! Perhaps you've heard: it's not easy for two working parents to raise two kids. (Good luck, CP!) My best advice is you have to roll with it. So today, due to scheduling issues, my youngest got to take the trip to the office with me. And after ipodwidow finished her work appointment, she came and picked him up. He was only at my office for an hour or so, but It was a lot of fun. (Fun fact for dads: Women in your office will drop whatever they're doing and come hang out with you and your baby. Not too shabby.) But even though he slept in the Moby Wrap baby carrier the whole way in, listening to my iPod, and not the deep, restful breathing of my still infant son, seemed wrong. When we got to the office, he was his happy, smiling self and I played a little music to stimulate those young ears. To be honest, I haven't been pushing music on him the way I did his sister at his age. Mostly because he's much more mellow and doesn't need constant rocking, singing and aural stimulation to get him to go to sleep. Still I should probably make more of an effort. The Bruce Springsteen Seeger Sessions album always seems like a good starter kit. I love the big folk band sound, and the renditions of the classics (many recorded by Pete Seeger) are informal and inviting - - for kids and adults. The little man cooed and giggled in my lap, while I checked some emails...
Bruce Springsteen - "Old Dan Tucker"
Bruce Springsteen - "Jesse James"
Bruce Springsteen - "Mrs. McGrath"
Bruce Springsteen - "O Mary Don't You Weep"
Bruce Springsteen - "John Henry"
Bruce Springsteen - "Erie Canal"
Bruce Springsteen - "Jacob's Ladder"
Bruce Springsteen - "My Old Kentucky Home"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 0
Total minutes of music (approx.): 0
Song with the most previous plays: n/a
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): n/a
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: A very small child was attached to my chest.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just came across your blog by accident - it is very interesting. I was looking through your play lists and don't see any Avett Brothers. If you don't lready have them, check them out. They are my favorite.

sarah said...

What a good little guy, and such a good daddy to take him with you and play such great music.
I pushed music on Ian a lot more than I did with Allie and Annie. I'm not sure why that is, but now it's starting to backfire. Ian's listening to more of his dad's music (blech), and Allie and Annie are firmly on my side. Must be a guy/girl thing, I suppose, when they get older.
It's true...babies are the ultimate chick magnets. I said "awww" when the picture came up. See? It's that easy!

GE said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kristen. I have heard a few good things about the Avett Bros., so I'll definitely check them out.

And how bad can Ian's dad's music be Sarah? Examples?