Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Needle Has Landed (Day 117)

New Radiant Storm King - "New Math"
The White Stripes - "Let's Shake Hands" (live)
Maritime - "If All My Days Go By"
Blur - "Sweet Song"
Rilo Kiley - "Execution Of All Things"
Smog - "No Dancing"
The Kooks - "Sofa Song"
Red House Painters - "Revelation Big Sur"
Pavement - "Recorder Grot"
What I find most interesting about today's playlist is that I was trying to inject some new life into the shuffle - - and so was iPod! Let me explain: I'm starting to think that even with 11,200 songs, the same core artists pop up every day making things a bite same-y. In addition, a comment by loyal reader comoprozac led me to believe that I'm not fully representing the breadth of my musical tastes. I can't remember exactly what CP said, but I think he was wondering how much of my music collection is absent from the iPod. The short answer is: a lot! I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, I just figured a blog about What I Listen To should probably be more complete. The fact is, most of the music on my iPod is either new stuff I've collected in the past few years, interesting things I've ripped from other people, or stuff I've had the time/inclination to upload from a pretty sizable collection of CDs and records (the tapes are history, unfortunately) that I've been stockpiling since about 1980. (The same year, incidentally, that Billy Joel's Glass Houses came out ...no, I'm not proud.) So what does this have to do with this noisy Pavement tune from the collection of early recordings Westing (By Musket and Sextant)? Well, I just uploaded it yesterday. I know what you're thinking, still not showing much more diversity here, GE. True. But I just grabbed a few things on the way to the office (including New Radiant Storm King, another lo-fi 90s band that never got the attention they deserved, and which also popped up on today's list!). I just thought that it was interesting that two songs from newly uploaded music immediately found their way into the shuffle. I guess iPod was getting bored too. Hopefully we'll both be re-energized as I add more oldies, but goodies.
Wilco - "Someone Else's Song"
Neko Case - "The Needle Has Landed"
Nirvana - "Anorexorcist"
Outkast - "Interlude"
Nick Lowe - "Rome Wasn't Built In A Day"
Nirvana - "Do Re Mi"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 15
Total minutes of music (approx.): 47
Song with the most previous plays: "The Needle Has Landed," "Sofa Song" (tie) - 9
How I Rate Today's Playlist (1-10): 7
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I think my blood was still boiling from watching the smug parade of half-truths last night. Thank goodness for The Daily Show.



Update: Thank goodness for...Diddy?

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

Thanks for the shout-out.

I do think the iPod throws new tracks into the shuffle just to keep it fresh. It must read download dates as a way of sorting the tracks. I'm just glad a Pavement track made the list. You can never get enough Pavement.

Man, I was going to use that Daily Show clip myself. You beat me to it. I think I'll pass on the incoherent babbling of P Diddy.