Monday, June 30, 2008

A River Could Be Loved (Day 75)

Stephen Malkmus - "I've Hardly Been"
Beirut - "Cliquot"
Brightback Morning Light - "A River Could Be Loved"
Yup, I only listened to 3 songs today. Not because I now live 10 minutes from my office (I wish). Rather my wife had an appointment, so I came in with her to watch the baby (now 14 weeks), while she did her thing. Afterwards we hit a great Korean restaurant in midtown for an early lunch. And the short walk to my office allowed me to sneak in 3 songs. But that's okay, because now I have the space to list a few songs from the weekend. Our second wedding trip in a row took us to Massachusetts for N. and S.'s nuptials (good times!) and...the world's greatest wedding band. No joke. Full disclosure, the Dexter Lake Club Band played our wedding and I've since recommended them to several other friends. They bill themselves as the anti-wedding band which is true. These guys are not your average, boring Frank Sinatra-playing, horn-heavy wedding bands. They are dudes from Brooklyn (mostly, I think), with serious musical chops who crank out spot-on covers of 80s hits and classic rock. They even play a rocking "Horah," if you need it. Here are just a few of the many great songs they played Saturday night:
Bryan Adams - "Summer of '69"
Cars - "Best Friend's Girl"
The Kack - "My Sheronah"
The Cure - "Just Like Heaven"
Prince - "Let's Go Crazy"
Talking Heads - "Burning Down The House"
Rick Springfield - "Jessie's Girl"
Van Halen - "Jump"
Nena - "99 Luftballoons"
The Kinks - "You Really Got Me"
The Pixies - "Here Comes Your Man"
This was actually our wedding song. We asked the band to play it, and I love that it's now part of their set. The other song we asked them specifically to learn for us - - "Cut Your Hair."
The Beatles - "I Saw Her Standing There"
The Rolling Stones - "Beast of Burden"
Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 3
Total minutes of music (approx.): 10
Song with the most previous plays: "A River Could Be Loved" - 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: See above.

4 comments:

sarah said...

What a nice morning.
The next time I get married, I'm definitely getting that band :)

comoprozac said...

The wedding we attended Saturday featured a DJ. Argh!

Angry John Sellers said...

I really wish they had been called "the Kack."

GE said...

Don't make me bring up your "Jump" injury again, AJS.