Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Let It Blow (Day 64)

Radiohead - "Life In A Glass House"
Yo La Tengo - "Moonrock Mambo"
X - "How I (Learned My Lesson)"
Ida - "Lovers Prayers"
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros - "I Fought The Law" (live)
Outkast - "Spaghetti Junction"
David Cross - "Phone Call From A Cranky Terrorist"
Some cuts from the two David Cross albums on my iPod have popped up on the way to work before and sometimes it can be a drag interrupting the tunes, but mostly its a humorous aperitif. And Cross's bits are so funny it's usually the latter. Today is no exception with this routine which features Cross ripping into the proliferation of wannabe stars in Hollywood. The centerpiece is his riff on how they all become crazy waiting around years for their big break, and then wind up being actually cast in a movie - - as a crazy strung-out loser on Hollywood Blvd. In other words, they wind up playing themselves and the irony is lost on the poor souls. Funny, true and sad, that's what Cross does best. And yes, this is the correct name of the track. I had to check but all the tracks on the album, Shut Up, You Fucking Baby!, are randomly named and have nothing to do with the routines. Most of them, like this one, have names that you could imagine would go with cliched bits by much lamer comics. Other examples include: "My Wife's Crazy!", "Flying On A Mexican Plane," and, pardon me, "Diarrhea Moustache."
Peter Bjorn & John - "Amsterdam"
A commenter recently wondered what happens after I write "And then I got to work." I do appreciate the interest in my not-too-exciting real life. And I'm not purposely concealing what I do for a living because it involves state secrets or something illegal or illicit. But I am enjoying the relative anonymity. (I'm sure astute Googlers could figure it out.) Anyhoo, here's a clue of sorts. Today when I got to work I had to write something down. On this piece of paper were some words. Among those words was an ampersand - - much like the ampersand that is part of the name of the band Peter Bjorn & John. (A band which also seems to forgo commas.) A co-worker commented, "Huh, you don't see someone hand write an ampersand that often." So, there you have it: What I do for a living involves occasionally writing ampersands. Now you know.
Superchunk - "The Popular Music"
Weezer - "Take Control"
Nina Simone - "Isn't It A Pity"
Richard Thompson - "Let It Blow"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12

Total minutes of music (approx.): 64
Song with the most previous plays: "Let It Blow" - 8
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: The NYC Sweat Tour '08 continues... And today's commute was actually interrupted by a trip to the barber where I was told that I have way too much hair for this kind of weather. Guess a trim was overdo.

2 comments:

pcup said...

"I'm sure astute Googlers could figure it out."

Or someone with incredible ear recognition.

GE said...

Oops, forgot the add a disclaimer to this site. Let me be clear:

Any similarities to ears either living or deceased are purely coincidental.