Thursday, June 5, 2008

Reinvent The Wheel (Day 61)

The Kinks - "This Time Tomorrow"
The Books - "That Right Ain't Shit"
The Beastie Boys - "Mark On The Bus"
Rufus Wainright - "Imaginary Love"
Pavement - "Conduit For Sale!"
Pixies - "Monkey Gone To Heaven"
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Travelin' Band"
I know, kinda random. But, hey, who can't use a little CCR on their way to work? This band will always remind me of an insanely fun road trip to New Orleans from Ann Arbor, MI for (you guessed it) spring break. Not sure who brought along the cassette of CCR's Chronicles Vol. 1, but it was a nice addition. (Lest you think my friends and I were all classic rock loving frat boys, know that the recently released album Slanted and Enchanted was also in the rotation. Ok?) But what I was specifically thinking about this AM while listening to "Travelin' Band" however was the cover of the 1970 album the song first appeared on, Cosmo's Factory. Anyone remember this?




















It's so bad it's great. The album is named after CCR's rehearsal space and this is obviously a picture of the band hanging out in this oh-so-artless room. I love how lame it looks. The big blue curtain. The red rug. The 10-speed bike. And absolutely no groupies or drugs. I'm kind of nostalgic for this sort of album cover. Everything today is so art directed in an attempt to impress upon the buyer how cool the band is. I guess CCR was pretty confident that everyone already knew they were pretty cool. Bonus aside here: This image also reminds me of this awesome blog I just came upon: For Those Who Tried To Rock. The site is attempting to collect pictures, sounds and bios from any group of music-loving kids who ever tried to form a rock band and become the next big thing. It's amazing. Here's a sample line I lifted from the most recent entry about The Explosions from Cherry Hill, New Jersey:
"...a particular triumph [was] when we forced the band hired to play my bar mitzvah off the stage and did our version of 'Brown Sugar.'"
Versus - "Circle"
Low - "Cue The Strings"
The Lemonheads - "Poughkeepsie"
Deerhunter - "Spring Hall Convert"
Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - "Honey Child What Can I Do?"
Maritime - "Someone Has To Die"
Beck - "Hell Yes"
Pixies - "Into The White" (live)
Bright Eyes - "Reinvent The Wheel"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 16

Total minutes of music (approx.): 58
Song with the most previous plays: "Reinvent The Wheel" - 8
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I stopped to get a bagel and coffee. (Reason for long-ass playlist revealed!)

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

I saw Pavement several times over the years, but I only heard them play "Conduit..." once. It was at their last North American performance before calling it quits.

I don't think there's any shame in CCR. A lot of great bands have name-checked them over the years, including Sonic Youth and Minutemen. I think they're the whole reason the whole alt-country thing ever happened.

I'm glad to see there's at least one other dude over 30 listening to Bright Eyes on a regular basis.

comoprozac said...

So weird...Carrie Brownstein (Sleater-Kinney) mentioned that band website, For Those Who Tried to Rock, on her NPR blog.