Monday, June 23, 2008

High Party (Day 71)

The Fiery Furnaces - "My Egyptian Grammar"
It may just be the result of having a few days away from listening to music on my iPod, but this first song this AM sounded fantastic. I mean, sonically. I've actually been meaning to revisit The Fiery Furnaces most recent LP, Widow City, especially after since Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon recently told the Times "it's really good driving music." She also, echoed my own thoughts about the band in general adding, "It's almost annoying and irritating to listen to, but it's also compelling." But, back to the sound. The recording is excellent and the programmed beats of this song (I'm pretty sure their beats are programmed) and the many digital flourishes are as dense as the lyrics (in a good way). By the way, I've never mentioned it but I use Etymotic ER 6-i Isolator headphones while listening to music on my way to work, which I'm a huge fan of. (Hey, Etymotic folks - - how about a nice new pair of ER 4's for this unsolicited plug?) They cancel out all that subway noise (including service updates that would have informed me the train is skipping my stop, unfortunately), and sound true and crisp. Now you know a bit more about my equipment...

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Song Of Joy"
Elvis Presley - "I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine"
Belle & Sebastian - "Family Tree"
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "High Party"
Since it's today's Song With The Most Previous Plays, and since I don't think I've really mentioned him on this blog, I think it's time to praise Ted Leo. He's a real grower. The first time, I heard Ted it sounded to me like average pub rock. But over time I've really come to love his unique combination of punk, pop, guitar rock, soul and Irish folk. This is another great song from the awesome album Hearts Of Oak. Today's artist fun fact courtesy of Wikipedia: Ted Leo is a strict vegan. And yet I still like him.
Sloan - "Are You Giving Me Back My Love?"
Norah Jones - "Not My Friend"
Charlie Louvin - "Grave On The Green Hillside"
Johnny Cash - "Wayfaring Stranger"
The National - "The Geese Of Beverly Road"
Usually as striking as The National's music are the band's lyrics. But there's something a bit strange about hearing Matt Berninger repeatedly sing the line "We'll run like we're awesome" in this song. The word "awesome" is too pedestrian, or something. Maybe I'm just being sensitive. I actually think I say that word too much. It's, like, totally, like, a crutch or something.
Sonny Rollins - "Just Friends"
The Beatles - "I've Got A Feeling"
Gerry Mulligan & Thelonious Monk - "Decidedly (Take 5)"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13

Total minutes of music (approx.): 53
Song with the most previous plays: "High Party" - 9
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I saw someone wearing this T-shirt.



















It's funny on face value, but I made a mental note because it was obviously based on some bit of pop cultural ephemera I should know about. A quick search revealed it's from the Simpsons - - awesome. [UPDATE: See, I just re-read this and I can't believe I used "awesome" in a blog entry where I mentioned I say "awesome" too much. Not awesome.] I always kinda wish I knew this show better. Obviously I think it's hilarious, but I haven't seen every episode, and I certainly can recite quotes. Am I culturally deficient?

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

I remember thinking the same thing about Kim Deal's take on FF (the second quote). They are a confounding pair.