Thursday, June 26, 2008

This Is What I Do (Day 74)

Galaxie 500 - "Victory Garden"
The Beach Boys - "God Only Knows"
The Clash - "Train In Vain (Stand By Me)"
The Apples In Stereo - "Same Old Drag"
The Flying Burrito Brothers - "Do Right Woman"
The Arcade Fire - "Antichrist Television Blues"
Another late post today, sorry. Again, the day job is really cutting into my blogging life. Honestly, I don't really have a lot to say about today's playlist. It was just one of those mornings where the music seemed to be going in one ear and right out the other. Hey, but how about this string of bands that use the article "the" in their name? Five in a row, that's got to be a record. (Stat unofficial - - no such records kept.) Did you know that "the" is the most common word in the English language? Naturally. (No. 2 is "of", No. 3 is "to", No. 4 is "and"...ok, I'm done.) I do like when bands are The *something*. It sorta sounds more punk rock to me. Although that theory doesn't exactly play out. See The Doobie Brothers.
Rhett Miller - "This Is What I Do"
Pernice Brothers - "High As A Kite"
Will Oldham - "Bolden Boke Boy"
Viva Voce - "How To Nuse A Bruised Ego (Back to Health)"
fIREHOSE - "Hear Me"
DJ Shadow - "Stem/Long Stem"
Nothing to do with DJ Shadow, but I saw this yesterday and I wanted to pass it on ASAP. It's a Bon Iver clip from their Take-Away Show. Amazing.



And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12

Total minutes of music (approx.): 49
Song with the most previous plays: "This Is What I Do" - 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Saw my first ad for the All-Star game on the subway today. It's at Yankee Stadium this year. And although the game is really a circus sideshow that usually showcases some terrible baseball (but was recently given some forced relevance with the whole home advantage for the Series thing); it suddenly dawned on me that it's kinda cool it's in town. Watching the game on TV gets pretty old fast, but it would be fun to see all those great players on one field. Of course tickets probably start at $1 million or so. In any case, Mr. Albert Pujols was on this particular poster, and it so happens he is also on my fantasy team. Um, or should I say my first place fantasy team?















**I'm off again tomorrow. Second wedding in two weeks, although this one's a bit more local, in Massachusetts. See you Monday.

1 comment:

comoprozac said...

I think The Doobie Brothers don't ruin your theory. The "the" is used in denote who the band members are. They are brothers with the last name Doobie...oh wait. Wikipedia says that I'm wrong. I could have sworn that founding members Tom and John had the surname Doobie. Oh well.

I still think your theory holds water.

Hey, we have to travel for a wedding as well. Only we're going to Queens (the next Brooklyn) and the marriage would be legal in Massachusetts.