Monday, June 9, 2008

Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking (Day 63)

Lou Reed - "Strawman"
I would have posted earlier, but I'm finally dry enough not to risk potential electrocution by touching the computer keyboard. It is freaking hot as balls in NYC today and, yes, on cue my subway decided to stop moving about 15 minutes into my commute. For those of you who do not know the joys of riding the New York City subway let me just quickly explain the situation. Sometimes a train will just stop. Sometimes the conductor will explain why the train has stopped. Sometimes they won't. During today's stoppage everyone on my train was told "We are stopped due to a signal outage up ahead. They train will be moving shortly." The train will be moving shortly seems to me to imply that the train will, in fact, be moving shortly. It implied that for the 35 minutes I waited, on the stopped train with my back facing the open car doors and the hot sun streaming onto me. I was forced to take the conductor at his word because getting off the train is just going to mean finding a bus or walking 25-30 minutes (in the heat), to another subway line. It appears my tolerance for waiting patienly like a sheep in the hot sun is 35 minutes, because I finally decided to risk it on foot. After a 15 minute walk I got to another stop where the same train was actually running - - like the sweat down my back. (If you must know, there was a power outtage which caused the delay.) Now this would definitely count as a "Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today" but I felt the need to vent right away, because I was only
really halfheartedly listening to my iPod during this whole mess and I don't have any real thoughts about today's songs. I was mostly cursing under my breath and/or listening for possible constructive announcements about the subway delays that never came. Hey, at least this song is from Lou Reed's New York. What a a coincidence, that's the same city I loath right now! The line of the song that sticks out: "If you're like me I'm sure a minor miracle will do. A flaming sword or maybe a gold ark floating up the Hudson." Um, gold ark, please. Presumably they don't have signal delays.
Jeff Tweedy - "Blue Eyed Soul" (live)
Pavement - "So Star" (live)
The Rosbuds - "Warm Where You Lay"
Cat Power - "The Moon"
Rilo Kiley - "Smoke Detector"
Tom Petty - "Saving Grace"
The Books - "There Is No There"
Dan Zanes - "Hey Little Red Bird"
Ted Leo & The Pharmacists - "The Unwanted Things"
Steve Earle - "What's A Simple Man To Do" (live)
Snow Patrol - "Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking"
Norah Jones - "Be My Somebody"
Luna - "La Poupee Qui Fait Non"
Colin Meloy - "The Engine Driver" (live)
Sloan - "In The Movies"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 16

Total minutes of music (approx.): 88
Song with the most previous plays: "Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking" - 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I learned that when sweet, innocent looking old laidies get very hot they curse like sailors.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

Just be satisfied you don't have to buy gas to get to work.

GE said...

Good point. But it looks like you have it a little better than most. Check it out!