Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Texas Eagle (Day 10)

Miles Davis - "Freedom Jazz Dance"
M Ward - "Right In The Head"
Stephen Malkmus - "No More Shoes"
Tortoise - "Onions Wrapped In Rubber"
David Bowie - "Always Crashing In the Same Car"
The Killers - "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine"
Midlake - "He Tried To Escape"
Have you heard this band? They're pretty incredible and if you haven't listened to them yet, I dare you to guess what year any of their music was recorded. It has a real timeless quality. For example this tune sounds to me like late 60s Kinks. Other times I get a 70s Allman Brothers vibe from them. But then sometimes I hear something that's more akin to 90s indie rock like Neutral Milk Hotel and the Elephant 6 bands. And finally they remind me of more recent bands like Grandaddy. I found them courtesy of the blogosphere and I don't know much about the band except that they're from Texas. Hold on, Wikipedia informs me that My Name Is Earl star Jason Lee is a big fan. The same Jason Lee who named his son Pilot Inspektor Riesgraf Lee. My wife and I are expecting a son any day now. This will not be his name.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - "Too Far Gone"
Matt & Kim - "Yea Yeah"
The Wedding Present - "Don't Touch That Dial (Pacific Northwest Edition)"
Coleman Hawkins & Duke Ellington - "The Jeep is Jumpin'"
Bruce Springsteen - "The Fuse"
Gram Parsons & The Fallen Angels - "We'll Sweep Out The Ashes" (live)
This Gram Parson's tune is from a very cool album that was recorded live in 1973. (It is not-so-inventively-titled Live 1973.) The best part is hearing Gram and his incredible duet partner, Emmylou Harris, sing and then chat a little. The recording is made from a live radio broadcast so you get to hear some banter with the DJ. It just strikes me as funny when they introduce Emmylou. Like, duh. Is there a more recognizable voice in country/rock? This particular song was a regular duet for Gram and Emmy that was first performed by Grand Ol' Opry duo Carl & Pearl Butler in the 60s. And it was written by this woman. Props to her.
Del McCoury & Steve Earl - "Texas Eagle"

And then I got to work.


Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 14
Total minutes of music (approx.): 60*
*Had an appointment this morning that meant a longer commute time. Boo. But it also meant more music. Nice.
Song with the most previous plays:
"Texas Eagle" - 9
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I passed a restaurant near my office called "Good Chinese Food" and decided then and there that it is probably unwise to eat at any dining establishment that feels the need to let you know it is "good" in the name of the place. Another turn off? Their sign also proclaims they specialize in Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Korean food. That's a lot to offer - - especially since only their Chinese food is "good."

5 comments:

comoprozac said...

The Midlake tune is nice. We too are expecting (although much later - Sept). What names are you thinking? I really just want to know so that our kid has the most unique name ever.

I'm really into this blog. Thanks for sharing.

GE said...

Congrats, comoprozac. We're reluctant to share any names. If you do you have to hear everyone's criticism and it taints it. (Also, we really haven't decided yet!)

Thanks for reading.

comoprozac said...

This was our original thought, but we're now sharing some names with friends to test them out.

You can thank John Sellers for my readership.

Anonymous said...

What did Little G listen to today. That is the real question.

GE said...

Probably "Mary Wore A Red Dress" - - refining her musical sensibility is definitely a work in progress.