Monday, March 10, 2008

Day 4

Beach House - "Apple Orchard"
Air - "La Femme d'Argent"
This is a bouncy instrumental from the French synth duo, but more importantly it highlights an interesting facet of iPod-ing. Usually the player is tucked in my pocket and I have no idea what the name of the song is I'm listening to. I can usually identify the band and in this case I knew right away it was Air (even though they are not a band I listen to very often). But until I looked back to make today's list I had absolutely no idea what the song's name was. It seems a bit of a disservice to the artists who took the time to name the song for a reason. Interestingly now that I know the name of the song, I still have no idea what it's all about because it's in French. Although it seems rather obvious: "The Female Agent" no? Hold on a sec, I'm going to go look it up and make sure I'm
not missing something... Oh shit! According to Babel it's actually "The Money Woman". Is it about an accountant? A golddigger? Vanna White? Weird.
Modest Mouse - "Interstate 8"
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Henry Lee"
Wilco - "I Must Be High"
Stephen Malkmus - "Troubbble" [sic]
Liz Phair - "Shatter"
Coleman Hawkins & Duke Ellington - "Ray Charles' Place"
I don't know where you are on the liking jazz spectrum (or who you are for that matter), but this song and this entire record (Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins) kicks ass. Sadly, I listen to jazz like I drink wine. In other words: I know what I like when I sample it, but I don't know anything about it in a larger context. I think I came across this record the way I discovered a lot of music during college, by wandering the aisles of the great Schoolkids Records in Ann Arbor, MI. (R.I.P.) Anyway, it swings, it jumps, it bops, and if you're ever looking for a big band jazz recording that doesn't even remotely sound dated (the record came out in 1962, btw), I couldn't recommend this one more highly.
Teenage Fanclub - "Ret Liv Dead"
Radiohead - "Scatterbrain"
Elvis Presley - "When It Rains It Really Pours"
Beach House - "Some Things Last a Lon
g Time"
Wow, that's the second play for Beach House this a.m. I'm just starting to listen to them (female vocalist, atmospheric dream pop), but so far I like what I hear.
Tortoise - "Everglade"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 13
Total minutes of music (approx.): 45
Song with the most previous plays:
"When It Rains It Really Pours" - 6
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I got a little choked up reading Alessandra Stanley's write-up on the last episode of The Wire. I will miss you Det. Jimmy McNulty et al.


2 comments:

nn said...

Emmanuel, you are doing a rocking service to commuters everywhere. I won't hate on you for liking Norah Jones either. Keep it up, subway cowboy.

GE said...

Well, well. If it isn't the driver of the Modest Mouse bus. Thanks for reading.