Friday, March 7, 2008

Day 3

Imperial Teen - "Butch"
Chin Up, Chin Up - "Fuck You, Elton John"
I can honestly say I've never heard this song. (That's the beauty of having 9,966 songs on your iPod.) I think this is something I probably uploaded from a co-worker's computer thinking the band at least sounded familiar. So what do I think? Meh. They have that sort of I-listen-to-a-lot-of-alternative-music-in-college-and-I-started-a-band-with-my-
roommates-type sounds. Here,
listen for yourself. Awesome title, btw.
Coleman Hawkins & Duke Ellington - "The Jeep is Jumpin'"
Camper Van Beethoven - "The Poppies of Balmorhea"
The Flying Burrito Brothers - "Image of Me"
Dinosaur Jr. "Kracked" (live)
Belle & Sebastian - "Another Sunny Day"
Yo La Tengo - "The Crying of Lot G"
The Clash - "Revolution Rock"
Charles Mingus - "Bird Calls"
The Fall - "Fiery Jack"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 44
Song with the most previous plays:
"The Poppies of Balmorhea" - 13
Hmm, my iPod seems to really have a thing for this throwaway instrumental from CVB. Great motherfucking band, though.
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I read reviews of several ho-hum movies in the NYT, but this one sounds surprisingly good.

5 comments:

Slop said...

What was the five-star highlight on the list?

And while I also listened to The Clash and R.E.M. on my way to (or maybe from) work this week too. But I definitely did not listen to Camper Van Beethoven – and I haven’t since 11th grade when my high school bf introduced me to the band and described them as “Bar mitzvah on acid”. Accurate? I can’t recall.

-An anonymous poster from 5th Street

Slop said...

oops. I guess not that anonymous. I'm new at this.

GE said...

Wow, a comment. Thanks, Nikki - - although I'm puzzled by your initial desire to remain anonymous. Is it because you admitted to listening to R.E.M.? I too find this a tad embarrassing. (Next time be sure to mention it was a song from one of their pre-Document albums. That'll save a little face.) Meanwhile, by five-star highlight do you mean the best song I heard on the way to work today? Hmm, lost of good ones, but that Imperial Teen song is pretty great. Best song ever about gender identification, hands down. Also, I like that Camper Van Beethoven description. The violin is a primary instrument for them - - which is weird for a punk band - - so it is a kinda klezmer thing going on. You really should have held on to that guy...

Anonymous said...

I will, without shame, say that I enjoy Document, Green, and Automatic for the People.

Anonymous said...

While we're on the "it's OK to like REM" topic, I will gladly admit to being a fan of just about everything, only exception being that piece of carp "Around The Sun"...WTF was that? I have faith that "Accelerate" will be the best since "Automatic"...that is all.