Thursday, March 13, 2008

Day 7

...or the day I decided to stop naming each post the boring title of "Day XX" and make it the name of the song from that day with the most plays. In other words, this post should have been called "The Iliad," and in future conversations I will refer to it as "The Iliad." (Although I seriously doubt it will ever come up in future conversations, but still that's what it will be called.)

Pavement - "Stray Fire"
Coleman Hawkins & Duke Ellington - "The Jeep Is Jumpin'"
Uncle Tupelo - "Discarded"
Okay, I feel the need to take a moment here and laud the genius that is Uncle Tupelo. The little band started by Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy in Belleville, IL is American Roots Rock. Simply put, it is country music at heart, played by a couple of punks. Just listen to "Graveyard Shift," the opening track on their brilliant debut, No Depression. It starts with a very countrified rock riff, but when the drums kick in it sounds more like The Stooges (or Nirvana, if you don't know what a Stooge is). Yes, I remember the first time I heard it. Philadelphia, PA, early 1991. The good doctor and I made one of our frequent visits to the boys at Penn, and we were in this amazing CD store that was inside their student union. You could bring them crap (CSNY's "American Dream," for example - - woah, what a piece of caca) and get top dollar in trade. Plus, you could listen to anything in the store at the "listening bar." No Depression was heard and bought. FYI: "Discarded" is from their often overlooked "Still Feel Gone" LP. It was probably their most "rock" record, but everything they touched is gold. Of course Jay (Son Volt) and Jeff (Wilco) broke up, but did not fade away. Both great bands, neither Uncle Tupelo.
Grandaddy - "The Group Who Couldn't Say"
Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Proud Mary"
Yo La Tengo - "I Feel Like Going Home"
Pavement - "Cut Your Hair"
One of the greatest bands in the history of the world attempted to make a commercial single. The result: Blissful indie pop - - and an inside joke between me and my wife. It was even played at our wedding by the greatest wedding band in the history of the world. If you don't believe me, just ask Amanda Peet.
The Shins - "Turn A Square"
Tapes 'n Tapes - "The Iliad"
101ers - "Out of Time" (live)
Micah P. Hinson - "Little Boys Dream"
Richard Thompson - "My Soul, My Soul"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 12
Total minutes of music (approx.): 40
Song with the most previous plays:
"The Iliad" - 16
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: I took a photo with the intent of posting it. And here it is:




Ooh, I like this. Meanwhile, I'm sorry to be acting like somebody's dorky dad who just discovered the Intranets...

2 comments:

Angry John Sellers said...

You are someone's dorky dad.

GE said...

Astute and funny, that's AJS for ya.