Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Day 5

**A Very Special I-Went-To-Get-A-Haircut-Before-Work Edition

The Polyphonic Spree - "Section 31 (Overblow Your Nest)"
First song of the day and I already have to come clean about something: My wife was right. Years ago she mentioned this band and said that they were cool. I think a co-worker turned her on to them. Probably a male co-worker. In what can only be descried as an irrational attack of minor jealousy, I decided I did not like them on principle. We listened to their first CD in a very cool record store in Denver, CO. I said they sucked. She bought it. I now have all their stuff on my iPod. I like my crow sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic.
Update: After re-reading this I decided it wasn't fair that I wrote this whole anecdote and never mentioned what the band is like - - especially since they're pretty unusual. The Polyphonic Spree is made up of about two dozen revolving members who wear long robes and look like some strange cult. They sing choir-style over music that can be best described as psychedelic pop. I think there's one guy who's the brains behind the operation, but I'm not sure.
Dexter Gordon - "Our Love is Here to Stay"
Charlie Louvin - "Must You Throw Dirt in My Face"
Calexico - "Smash"
Calexico and Iron & Wine - "A History of Lovers"
Bruce Springsteen - "Lonesome Day"
Calexico and Iron & Wine - "Sixteen, Maybe Less"
Looks like the iPod found something it likes. Smart iPod. This is a great collaboration, but definitely not as good as Calexico or Iron & Wine separately. I&W are especially amazing. But you probably already know that.
Versus - "Shower Song"
Eleventh Dream Day - "Return of the Long Shadow"
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - "Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere"
Yo La Tengo - "Deeper into Movies"
Okay, this is when I got to the barber for the ol' haircut. Chelsea Barbers on 23rd Street is my new hair cutter of choice. Yes, the days of the salon are behind me. This is no frills in an old school way, complete with a straight razor shave on the back of the neck and a hot towel over your face. Carlos does an excellent job. But more importantly, here is a snippet of conversation between him and his fellow barber. (The other barber speaks first, then Carlos.)

"Did you see that girl in here before?"
"Yes."
"She was half Russian and half Mexican."
"Oh, really."
"Pretty girl, no?"
"No."
"What, she was beautiful."
"Nah, she looked like a Chihuahua."
"What! Now way."
"I'm telling you she looked like a Chihuahua. Maybe it was the Mexican half."
[much laughter]
"But she had a great body, right?"
"Yeah, good body. But she was ugly."
"Still her body's unbelievable."
"Is she the stripper?"
"No, man. The stripper is Nikki Blue Eyes. Now she's ugly."

Needless to say, I had nothing to add to the conversation. Haircut looks nice, though.

Matt & Kim - "5K"
The Velvet Underground - "I'm Not Too Sorry (Now That You're Gone)"
Sufjan Stevens - "One Last 'Woo-Hoo' For the Pullman"
Grizzly Bear - "Central and Remote"
Cat Power - "Ramblin' Wo(man)"
Bruce Springsteen - "All I'm Thinking About"
Wilco - "Candy Floss"
The Flaming Lips - "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion"
The Clash - "Rudie Can't Fail"
David Cross - "If Baseballs Had AIDS on Them"
I'm not sure if this is the actual title of the bit, because it doesn't make much sense if it is. I think I may have taken this from someone who wasn't very careful with track info. Regardless, David Cross is freaking funny and this 20+ minute routine about religion is spot-on (in my opinion, sorry if you don't agree). Highlights include his annotated reading of Genesis ("He's freaking god, why does he have to rest?! God takes fucking naps?!"), plus a comparison of the Bible to a spirited game of Dungeons & Dragons. Love this. Sadly I didn't get to hear it all.

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 20
Total minutes of music (approx.): 70
Song with the most previous plays:
"One Last 'Woo-Hoo' For the Pullman" - 13
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Well, you already got a lot about my haircut experience. I'll just add that the coffee from the random deli on 23rd Street I went to was really bad. And it spilled. Uggh.




2 comments:

nn said...

Now Polyphonic Spree wear navy fatigues with little heart patches on the sleeve that say The Fragile Army -- it's a much better look than the robes -- and it allows them to march around on stage.
Didn't think they'd be your bag, but I love them, too.

jon said...

That is actually the correct David Cross title. One of his "things" on his albums is giving each track a name that has absolutely nothing to do with the contents. Quite often it's a title that parodies the work of other comedians.