Monday, March 31, 2008

Lone Child (Day 15)

And, we're back...

Magnetic Fields - "Old Fools"
The Sea & Cake - "The Biz"
Frank Black - "Lone Child"
So, today's Song With The Most Previous Plays (and Post Title), is sort of apropos. As in Georgia, our nearly 2-and-a-half-year-old, is no longer a "lone child" thanks to the arrival of Auggie. He is awesome: Eating, sleeping and pooping expertly as is his biological prerogative. And doing it all with a veritable smorgasbord of cuteness. Big sis is also super-cute (natch) and already professes her love for "little brother" non-stop. But, she has also become super-needy and super-obstinate in what I can only assume is the very textbook way that all first kids probably react upon the arrival of a sibling. It is, and will continue to be, and adventure. And the first day back at work is hard - - I miss them all.
Versus - "Venus Victoria"
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane - "Blue Monk"
Pixies - "Wave of Mutilation" (live)
Beulah - "Don't Forget To Breathe"
I really like this band and could never understand why they could never find cross-over appeal a la The Shins (a band I think they share more than a little musical DNA with). They make a really gorgeous, shimmery pop with a few psychedelic touches. I came upon their sophomore release, When The Heartstrings Break, at the same store I was also turned on to Death Cab For Cutie about 6 or 7 years ago, the extremely browse-able Reckless Records in Chicago. This song comes from their great 2003 release Yoko (with an equally great title). So what up with Beulah these days? I was wondering this very thing this morning as I was listening to the song. Unfortunately a little 5-second research revealed that the band is kaput - - a fact that somehow eluded me. Bummer.
Dizzy Gillespi & Charlie Parker - "A Night in Tunisia"
Tenacious D - "Hard Fucking"
X - "Present"
Bob Dylan - "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" (live)
Nirvana - "Aneurysm"
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - "Wondering"
Yo La Tengo - "Beanbag Chair"
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - "Moanin'"


And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 15
Total minutes of music (approx.): 65
Song with the most previous plays:
"Lone Child" - 11
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: The weather stinks, but it just doesn't matter: Today is Opening Day, people! Let's go Mets. Amen.

4 comments:

comoprozac said...

You should read sweet juniper!, unless you already do.

GE said...

thanks for the tip, comoprozac. i'm definitely going to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I have every record Frank Black ever recorded (Black Francis too, love bluefinger) and I never heard of Lone Child, oh wait thats honeycomb (cheated I googled it). see i didnt listen to that much because his double record came out right after it and listened to that a lot, loved "Fitzy"

GE said...

I like that song too, Mike. FB's been pretty damn prolific since 2005...