Thursday, March 20, 2008

Que' Onda Guero (Day 12)

Coldplay - "Sparks"
The Beatles - "Two of Us"
This is not a Beatles comment (what can you say, really?). But, I did have something to say on the subject of classic rock and this is my best shot today. I really wish iPod had read my mind and shuffled over to a Rolling Stones tune because.... I was listening to the radio last night (happened to be in the car), and I flipped over to 92.3 KROCK. Now, I haven't really been following NYC radio of late, but apparently this station is now back to a "classic rock" format. (Similar, I think, to what 102.7 WNEW was like when I was growing up and routinely "Getting The Led Out" during "Rocktober" etc.) So they play The Ramones' "I Want to Be Sedated" (pleasant surprise), and then an annoying DJ comes on to give an update on the "Ramones vs. Rolling Stones voting." Huh? I quickly deduce what's going on: They're doing some kind of March Madness-like bracket, and pitting bands against each other in order to determine the greatest classic rock band of all time. So, the DJ banters with a "reporter" about how the vote is going. He says, "The Ramones should get a boost because they're a local band." Fair enough, but naturally they are slayed. The vote is something like 77% to 23% in favor of the Stones. Now, I appreciate the DJ's pitch for The Ramones, but this result is not a surprise and not unwarranted. So all is cool in classic rock world, right? Wrong! They then set up the next battle: The Stones will be taking on Van Halen. I know what you're thinking, I was thinking the same thing. But then the "reporter" weighs in on the battle, calling it a "heavy duty clash" or some such and then signing off by saying (wait for it), "This should be a close one!" Excuse me? The Rolling Stones vs. Van Halen for greatest rock band of all time?! I quickly turned the dial. And somewhere Scott Muni is rolling in his grave.
The Thrills - "Hollywood Kids"
Beck - "Que' Onda Guero"
Flight Of The Conchords - "If You're Into It"
Yo La Tengo - "Sugarcube"
Tim O'Reagan - "That's The Game"
Neko Case - "I Missed The Point"
Ambulance Ltd. - "Primitive"
The Lemonheads - "Let's Just Laugh"
Camper Van Beethoven - "Hippie Chix"

And then I got to work.

Today's Stats
Total songs listened to: 11
Total minutes of music (approx.): 42
Song with the most previous plays: (tie)
"Que' Onda Guero," "HIppie Chix" - 9
Miscellaneous factoid about my trip to work today: Two things: First, I took the train with my wife, and after a few minutes I had to excuse myself to listen to my iPod. For the blog, ya know. (Out of respect I only put one earphone in.) Secondly, we bought bacon, egg and cheese DUB Pies on the way to the subway. Holy shit, were they good.
I wish I had taken a picture. Luckily I found this photo of said pie, courtesy of Saveur.
















I've never "stolen" a photo
before. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Angry John Sellers said...

Have you ever actually listened to Van Halen?

No, you haven't.

Either way, the Rolling Stones aren't really a hard rock band, and the listeners of KRock are fans of hard rock. Van Halen could easily win that matchup -- and to be clear, the Van Halen that listeners are being asked to vote on is only the VH with David Lee Roth, not the versions with Sammy Hagar or Gary Cherone, while anyone considering the Stones will be forced to consider the stillbirths that were Undercover of the Night and Voodoo Lounge. And I hope VH does win. The Rolling Stones are kind of a drag at this point.

My prediction for the winning band, by the way, is Led Zeppelin. That's kind of a "duh" statement right there.

comoprozac said...

I've listened to Van Halen, and the Rolling Stones are still better. The Stones' quality work still vastly outweighs VH's best. I preferred to block out both bands' indiscretions while considering a winner.